help! laying 18mm 90mm oak flooring on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i would lik to lay my oak floor on a concrete sub floor but there are gas pipes and such running through the concrete so fixing a sub floor is not an option. is it possible just to lay battens on top of the concrete and fix the flooring to the battens leaving the hole floor floating?
i dont want to glue the hardwood direct to the concrete as this is to cold .
can any one help please

Sponsored Links
Why would glueing down be too cold?

How long are your boards? And if random length, how many short ones?

i find my house very cold and i think it is due to the concrete floors!
i was goind to put a thermal insulation between my battens.
the lengths come in 400,600,800,and 1200. i bought 35 packs and there is only thirty five 1200,s its one third 4,s one third 6,s and one third 8,s
i was going to put my battens in at 300,s is this ok also should i lay it totaly random or is there actually away of laying it?

kind regards andy

It is advised when installing on battens or joists to have every board connect with at least 3 joist/battens.
Will be hard in your case.

Sponsored Links
is it possible to use a pva glue and glue the board to the baton or glue the tonge and groove or does this cause cracking when it shrinks?

if you want to insulate and use batterens then do this and then lay plywood over the top of the batterns and nail (secret) the flooring to the top of the plywood.

unfortunitly i dont hav the hieght to do this as that would take me up past the threshold of my front and back door! does gluing crack the wood over time ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back