18mm engineered Oak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,i have a large Kitchen/ Extension with a new concrete slab i've just put down, i plan to run 2"x1" tanalised battens at 300 centers (between which i have to run the pipes to the boiler) then lay an Oak Engineered floor on the battens, my question is as the flooring will be structural is it possible to buy engineered Oak that is 18-22mm thick as it all seems to be 7-15mm. Any help or recommendations would be gratefully received!!!

Sponsored Links
why not 25mm foam? support the whole floor, no bowing so you can use thinner stuff..
if you need the battens to nail to, then you can still fill inbetween with the foam..

With foam you always run the risk it crumbles and the floor does start to wobble.
Make sure your battens are 50 x 75mm so you have a wide enough surface to nail the floor onto and high enough for the nails not to hit the concrete.
You'll have to use at least 18mm thick wood-engineered boards, although most load-bearing engineered boards are 20mm thick.

Thanks for the replies guys- something to think about there,if i go for the floating floor option would a product like 25mm Kingspan be less prone to deteriorate over time??

Sponsored Links
Kingspan is a better product (hence the price). Still make sure your concrete floor is level and without any dips or "hills"

Thanks mate-will look into it further but is sound like the way to go :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back