Help! - Leaking basin trap (Pictures)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This basin trap is driving me mad ... I've taken it apart and reset it so many times but it keeps leaking ....

See pics below to see where its leaking ...

Should I use silicon on the trap-waste seal and on the underside of the basin waste seal+thread?

I dont understand how water is getting into the waste thread and running down?

z7tab.jpg

ddlth1.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
You got a rubber washer under that brass nut?

libby - Yeah ... plus I have tried two wastes with two different types of washers.

Its a slotted waste .... I guess the water is building up under that nut/washer and slowly running down the thread?

I normally silicon the space between the waste threads and the basin,(careful not to block the overflow) plus a bit of ptfe on the threads where the nut sits usually stops any leaks.

Sponsored Links
Why silicone? I never use silicone, only used plumber's putty and poly washer. Fitted hundred of basin and never had problem.

Dan.

Thanks for the quick replies ...

I have now siliconed above the nut and washer ....

.... PTFE tape on the flange of trap to waste join + the rubber washer in there ... if that doesn't work I will silicon in there too!!

I will wait until morning to let the silicon set ... watch this space!

Water coming from A will be to do with the seal between the basin and the waste flange or back nut. (Or both.)

Water coming from B will be to do with the sealing washer in the trap's nut.

Are we dealing with 2 issues here?

View media item 43142
PS: We sell very little Plumbers Mait nowadays. Most of those who used it are either retired or dead.
1.gif

Stardanny correct
Why silicone? I never use silicone, only used plumber's putty and poly washer. Fitted hundred of basin and never had problem.

I make money from diy who no not what they are doing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back