HELP Leaking Shower & Is it safe to use?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

we have a gainsborough regent II shower - cold fill heated type.

I noticed that the shower was leaking recently and that this was getting worse.

When it was on it would drip / flow as it got worse from where the shower cable head joined the unit. I put some tape on it and tighten it up - but still it leaked and clearly from inside the unit.

So I disconnected all the electrics and the took the cover off and found 2 things

1)The source of the leak when the shower is turned was under the small heating chamber, through a small nut, this nut is hollow.

When the shower was on water was constantly running out the bottom of this into the shower unit itself. Thankfully this has been hitting the shower head flex and that has been drawing the water out of the unit

2) A little plastic pipe that was loose that I now believe goes under the small heating chamber to direct water out underneath the unit, this I have now re attached to this.

Now when the shower is turned on the water pours out of this small black pipe.

So my questions are.

Firstly how do I stop this leak occuring
Secondly how safe is it to use the shower now, and if its ok how dangerous was it actually while this small black pipe was off and water was inside the unit near the electrics - my very limited knowledge tells me this was not good!

Thanks in advance for any assistance and guidance with this.

Surfergraham

Sponsored Links
I would also go with the heater element can scaled up and the prv has blown. Probably new heater can needed or depending on cost a new shower may be better.

Sponsored Links
Hi the shower head appears to be ok

But the unit has been vibrating recently - and this stops when the cold tap is run at the same time - not ideal environmentally.

If so what can I do to reset or reclose this pressure relief device?

Or is it that I need to try and get a replacement heater valve?

Is it simply a case of removing the old one and replacing the new one if so how easy are they too do?

Or is it more cost effective to fit a new shower unit?

thanks for everyones help

Graham

Personally as I've done both, I would say it is better to replace with a better shower.

Hi

Thanks for all your help - is it safe to use as its the only shower in the house currently

The valve does appear to be the issue and the pipe is in place with water now running out of the unit when it is in use.

Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back