Help!!! Light fitting with 3 clear wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a light I want to hang up. But when I cut the wire shorter there was no standard wires, just 3 clear ones. Looking at them close I see one has a light blue strip, another has a White strip and the other has none. They where originally in a connected block in the right L/N &E place but when I cut the wire shorter I lost with one sent where! Do if any one can pls help me identify which wire is which I would be really greatfull. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Look at where each one is connected within the light itself. It is absolutely essential that you identify which is the earth - L vs N is unlikely to matter, but unless you can find the earth by inspection or by testing then you'll either have to get an electrician or throw the light away.

If the lampholder is an ES (screw type) then you need to ensure the line conductor connects to the centre pin and neutral to the outer screw thread.
If it's BC (bayonet type) then polarity doesn't really matter unless the terminals at the lampholder are marked with L & N.

These clear cables are the spawn of the devil and shouldn't be allowed! Notionally there is a blue thread in the neutral, a brown one in the line and a green or yellow one in the earth, but as the OP has found that ain't always the case. And it can be easy to mistake a light brown for a darkish yellow (as I found on one occasion!!). Before hanging the light fitting, and with a suitable lamp inserted, it should be possible to identify live and neutral by continuity if you have an appropriate tester

PJ

Sponsored Links
These clear cables are the spawn of the devil and shouldn't be allowed! Notionally there is a blue thread in the neutral, a brown one in the line and a green or yellow one in the earth, but as the OP has found that ain't always the case. And it can be easy to mistake a light brown for a darkish yellow (as I found on one occasion!!). Before hanging the light fitting, and with a suitable lamp inserted, it should be possible to identify live and neutral by continuity if you have an appropriate tester

PJ

Set on continuity a mult meter will indicate. All you need. Since the fitting is likely to be metal, prope on that (chcking a suitable true metal contact- some areas might be painted or laquered) and a run with the other probe over each of the ends does the earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back