HELP! Mains water leak in subfloor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went into the subfloor yesterday to wire a new plug socket I'm installing, and found a big damp patch. On closer inspection, the mains waterpipe that supplies both my flat and the flat above (c.1900 Victorian converted house) has a tiny pin-prick sized hole 3 meters downstream of the main stop-cock. A fine mist of spray was spraying onto one of the pillars, enough for a drip about every ten seconds. The problem definitely wasn't there 6 weeks ago. See below for photos of the pipework I have.

1) Does a small hole like I described suggest that at any moment the whole thing could blow and I'll have a major problem - should I get an emergancy plumber out ASAP?

2) If no - is there any way I could patch the hole myself? The reason being i) my normal plumber seems to be still away on holiday, and ii) I'm decorating my front room at the monent, and can't easily get under the floors to allow him access to replace pipework. I can see a blue and yellow tube of LS-X external leak sealer (and "no nonsense" equivalent) and self-amalgamating tape ("repairs joints, pipes and hoses") in the Screwfix catalog. Are either of these suitable - and how do I make a repair?

3) The pipes look to me very old - are they lead? If so I take it they should be replaced? Either way, is this problem an indication that the pipwork is shot? Are those two buldges in the same area anything to worry about???

4) And confusingly when I went back under to take the photos just now (24 hours later) the fine mist / spray had stopped, but everything is still damp. Any explanations???

Many thanks for your help.
Dan

of=50,590,442

of=50,332,442

Sponsored Links
Place a piece of rubber (bike inner tube type) over the hole and tighten dow with a jubilee clip, then look at replacing the lead supply.

;)

Or gently beat the pipe with a hammer to work the lead to seal the leak...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back