Help make my front door less embarrassing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
This is my first home, bought it last year. But this front door is a right state.

I've attached a load of photos, and here's a list of issues...

• Number looks rubbish - Easy I can sort this one cheap, just going to buy some brass looking numbers and stick them on - To the left or right of the letter flap though??

• Letterbox springs broken on inside and outside - How easy is it going to be to buy a new one that fits perfectly? Are they a generic uk standard size?

• Holes from previous door handle. do you think I'm going to be able to find a brass door handle with a longer top bit so it can cover these holes? I selotaped over the holes when I first moved in to stop draughts haha.

• Bottom square panel dented and yellowed old broken cat flap. I'm going to replace this whole panel. I will ask on facebook who is cheapest local that I can just take this current panel into and they will cut to size and match the white colour. But which out of the photos attached will make it look best? I'm thinking the vertical stripes one.

• Bottom kick strip missing the cap on the right. Can new kick strip things be bought? Do they do them in brass? Or shall I just cut and glue a bit of white plastic on each end to match?

• Bottom step missing cap - will just stick a bit of plastic over this, ice cream tub cut up, whatever doesn't matter for this bit lol.

Sorry this ended up so long, still better than spending £1000 on a whole new door as I'm gonna move in a couple of years.

Only thing I've done so far is fill in old screw holes from curtains, door bell, etc with white silicone.

IMG_7695.JPG IMG_7697.JPG IMG_7698.JPG IMG_7699.JPG IMG_8121.JPG IMG_8122.JPG uPVC Back Door.jpg upvc-back-door_250x480.jpg upvcDOOR01f98ilg1rdu1l3f3.jpg upvcHalf_Raised_Panel.jpg

Sponsored Links
When I say brass I mean the gold colour my letterbox currently is.
But I don't know if it's classed in the trade as brass?

is this a plastic door?

Get your measure out to see what size the letterbox hole is.

As it is quite close to the keyhole, look for an internal cage or box to prevent and intruder reaching through with a skinny arm or a simple home-made tool to unlock your door.

A wooden door and frame will be cheaper, stronger, more secure and easier to maintain, so no need to throw away £1k on more plastic rubbish.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

we had the same issue as you. We have a very ugly door and but it is pvc coated wood instead of PVC. I looked at getting a nice composite door but it was around 1k which we did not have. To add to the horrible looking door, ours was not properly hung and you could feel the wind blowing inside the house.

1) Do you need to have the house number on the door or could you hang it on the wall beside the door? I personally think it looks smarter and you can get some quite looking brass ones.

2) We changed our letter box as well, and its really easy. Just measure them and look online or go to a hardware shop.

3) Not sure what you can do about the holes but filling them or cutting out a piece to cover them may do. I was thinking that if you changed the handle to a brass/metal one it may look a bit more expensive. But that is a question of taste.

4) I like the plain panel best.

I do not know about the rest but these are my thoughts :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back