Old aluminium double glazed door - remove glass panel and replace?

17 Feb 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have an old aluminium double glazed door at the rear of my house. We have just bought a puppy and I am looking at putting in a door flap. One option is to put the flap in the glazing in the back door.

I've had a quote to install the dog flap but I've been advised that sometimes the panes are impossible to replace due to the way they were originally constructed, and so it may not work.

I could replace the door but I want to know if there is another option. My question is whether the bottom pane of glazing can be replaced with a upvc panel? If so, I can just cut the panel myself and install the dog flap.

Sponsored Links
Some photos around the glass edges inside and out will help, it could be 'wrap around' which means the Ali sections need dismantling from the glass, quite easy but time consuming, pictures will tell, it can be done and anyone telling you it can't is probably trying to sell you a new door
Yes it's wrap around, in all 4 corners and where the midrail is they'll be Allen bolts hidden behind plastic caps, it's a case of taking the door off its hinges and laying it flat on some tressles, remove all Allen bolts and pull the Ali sections off the rubber, it's the rubber that's called wrap around and it wraps around the glass and the Ali is thumped on. To measure for a new panel tuck a tape measure between the rubber and the Ali and measure to the same point opposite, do this for width and height adding 25mm to both, this allows the panel to be 12.5mm bigger all the way around
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local