Help me, im having a diy nightmare!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im trying to wire up a new light fitting on my landing. The existing wires are old so I have 2 black wires, 1 green wire and 1 red wire. The light is operated by a downstairs light switch and a light switch on the landing. Need help as im so confused as to where each wire should go! Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
It is unclear whether you are talking about the switch, the light itself or the ceiling rose - please clarify.

Have a look at wiki

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

You will need to give us clear photographs of the inside of the switches so we can see the wiring set up and the current light wiring regime. Just make sure you turn the power off first.

ok thanks for the reply. The wires i am referring to are the ones that are coming down from the ceiling (inside the loft). The ceiling rose has now been removed and the 2 black, 1 green and 1 red wires are whats left. Only had a basic rose with a bulb hanging but have bought a new chandelier to install. There has always been two light switches to operate the bulb i had up. Just unsure where to put each wire in the new light thats all. :)

ok thanks for the reply. The wires i am referring to are the ones that are coming down from the ceiling (inside the loft). The ceiling rose has now been removed and the 2 black, 1 green and 1 red wires are whats left. Only had a basic rose with a bulb hanging but have bought a new chandelier to install. There has always been two light switches to operate the bulb i had up. Just unsure where to put each wire in the new light thats all. :)
Did you make a note of which cable went were in the old ceiling rose?
Do either of the black cables have a red sleeve or tape on them?

If the answer is no to both then you will need to obtain a multi-meter and determine which cable is live, neutral and switch live.
Chances are that the red is the live, one of the black is switch live and the other is neutral.
At your chandelier you should have a terminal strip with (s)L, N & E and possibly (hopefully) a fourth terminal for the your permanent live.
As long as you know which cable is which you would connect the permanent live to the fourth terminal, the switch live to L, the neutral to N and the earth to E.

Sponsored Links
ok thankyou again for your time. Think i have put the wrong black wire into the wrong slot. One black is in N and the other in S, think they just need to be switched round. The other wires are in the correct place...i hope. Red is in permanent live and green is in earth.

As the OP has said it is a two way switched circuit, it is likely that he has a live, two neutrals and an earth. :confused:

ok thankyou again for your time. Think i have put the wrong black wire into the wrong slot. One black is in N and the other in S, think they just need to be switched round. The other wires are in the correct place...i hope. Red is in permanent live and green is in earth.
I close my eyes and ears for the 'bang'.

If one black to N and one to S does not work, then put the blacks together on N and the red to S and the earth wire to the casing of the fitting, if appropriate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back