Help me please celling patchy and driving me metal...!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:eek:

Please help me painted my mums ceiling using a roller (short pile) Leyland trade paint... It was new plaster, miscoat went on fine, first coat went on fine, 2nd and 3rd coat dried patchy! On closer inspection the patchy parts look like orange peel, lots of texture to them and what looks like little pores,

It seems to me the more you paint the worse it gets, tried sanding down ceiling but its still there

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it's driving me mad!!!!

Would painting over the patchy bits with a brush letting them dry then rollering again work???

Or

Paint the whole ceiling with a brush?

Or

Use a deep pile roller maybe that would even it out????

Help me please just trying to help my mum with her decorating, not a pro but never had this problem before

Lauren x

Sponsored Links
A couple of things could be happening here, firstly you are not allowing the paint to dry enough before re-coating and if you have not cleaned and dried the roller sufficiently. Try using another paint manufacturer, B&Q trade paints are cheep but I have never had problems with them if not try the Dulux paint, may be dearer but again I have not had problems with that either.

We did try dulux but it made no difference :cry:

I feel like I've exhausted all options and the only way out is to re skim

The texture finish could just be from the roller but your description of 'pores' suggests something on the surface of the plaster affecting the adhesion of the paint. As it's new plaster anyway you could try something like Zinsser to seal the surface before repainting. A good decorating shop (not the sheds) should have this or something similar. You definitely shouldn't be thinking about a reskim at this stage.

As you've tried Dulux as well I think some of the problems could be more to do with your technique. Make sure that you use random strokes with the roller - not all in the same direction - to avoid a patchy finish and blend overlapping areas with lighter strokes. Make sure one coat is thoroughly dry before applying the next otherwise you will lift the first coat and it will look patchy.

Sponsored Links
How long had the plaster been up before you started to paint over it, was there any signs of the plaster being damp, was there any damage under the plaster in the areas you have found problems?

If the plaster had not completely dried out this will cause problem and also if there were damage under the new plastered areas, the plaster may be thicker in those areas and would need longer to completely dry, it may have looked dry on the surface.

I always seal fresh plaster with 1 part PVU to 5 parts water before painting and leaving that to completely dry.

IMO it sounds like poor technique. It might be "dry rolling", ie not managing to maintain a wet edge. Thinning the paint or adding floetrol should help. Lightly sand the worst areas and use a deeper pile roller which will enable a thicker/wetter coat.

as a pro, even I struggle to get a constant sheen without thinning the last coat

Was the whole ceiling re-skimmed or just patches...... :)
If so was the ceiling papered before, and the adhesive not cleaned of properly before skimming and was the ceiling sealed as mentioned before plastering, silicone, grease could cause the effect also of the orange peel effect. You might have to do a bit of investigating to find out.
If not you will have to start again and make sure of the above and use a good quality paint. G.L................ :D

i know it's a long time since you posted but I must add my 2penny worth, 2 things could cause the orange peel effect,

1, greasy surface, when you put on any paint it may look alright but then will start to pull back when the grease breaks down the polymers of the paint, be it oil based or acrylic,

2, painting oil over not quite dried acrylic or mixing oil and acrylic together, then when applied you get a congealed goo that never dries, experience talking to you there,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back