help me start a lighting project

Sponsored Links
Well I'll start by saying I'd be in no hurry to "modernise" that lovely ceiling. Nor would I be in a rush to cut loads of holes in it to fit stupid non-functional downlighters.

Of course, there is always a tradeoff between form and function. For function, it's hard to beat 2 or 3 flouro tubes though they seem to have a poor acceptance factor by SWMBO :rolleyes:

Wider shots showing what the rest of the kitchen is like would help.

If there's a dining area there, then it's hard to beat a pendant light fitting with your choice of bulb (incandescent, compact flouro, LED) and shade.

For the rest fo the kitchen, then consider just updating the light bars with something a bit more modern (ie like GU10 but designed for LED) which can be positioned to put light where you need it (rather than on the floor as you get with downlighters). Then put under-cupboard LED lighting to give good working light on the worktops.

LED strips to accept the ceiling from the top of the cupboards, and the floor from underneath, can give a nice effect.

But what you do amy be constrained by how much you are prepared to hack about - eg chopping into the wall to fit a wider switch (and the conduit to get the cables to it) to allow all these to be switched independently (or even dimmed) as required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back