HELP! Need advise on cracks on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking into buying our first house. Had the home buyer's survey. Here is what it said:

"There is some recent cracking on the front wall of the property which we believe may be the result of the shrinkable sub-soil and the close proximity of tree's.
This has led to structural movement.
The subsoil in the area is of a shrinkable nature which can cause foundation movement in some buildings. The risk is increased if drainage is defective and when prolonged dry spells of weather occur.
There are trees close to the property which could affect the foundations, the underground drains and possibly other services."

The current owner had a structural survey done when he purchased the property in 2013.
Screen_Shot_2017_11_11_at_11_23_33_PM.png

These are the photos I took.

I have requested the owner to do a current structural survey. So far I haven't had the report yet. Estate agent is saying survey has just been done but no official report yet. He is saying crack is due to thermal movement. In essence, when the sun shines on the front of the house, the bricks warm up and expand. In the evening when it cools down, the bricks contract, and it is this movement that has caused the cracking in the mortar joints.

Really need your advise on this.

Many thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Inside and outside crack more likely foundation movement not thermal.

You can not and should not rely on a seller's structural survey. Instruct your own.

So that is 3 surveys and three different opinions, 1. subsidence 2. shrinkage and 3. thermal

As Woody suggested thermal would not affect the inner and outer leaf, neither would calcium silicate shrinkage so it looks like subsidence is the only option left. Or maybe it is a combination of all 3?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back