Help need again lol.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone hope you lot can give some great advise once again.

Well I have just purchased a couple of wall lights that need to be hardwired but all I have coming from the actual fitting where you put your bulb is a live and a neutral wire.

The actual earth is screwed on to the fitting housing (chrome metal)

I thought I would have to loop an earth from the mains to the fitting or is this normal and ok?

The light fitting is the same as this one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FROSTED-G...K_Home_Garden_Wall_Lights&hash=item4611a31c37

Thanks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If it's a lead/wire then, connection block between CPC/earth of circuit and earth bonded to fitting.
If it's a block that is tied in to metal of fitting then terminate CPC to the earth terminal of block.

If it's a lead/wire then, connection block between CPC/earth of circuit and earth bonded to fitting.
If it's a block that is tied in to metal of fitting then terminate CPC to the earth terminal of block.

Well the main feed from the wall has a block with Live Neutral and Earth which obviously the old wall lights are connected to.

Please could you explain that in non trades man talk lol.

Sponsored Links
If the light has a bonded cable (earth) to metal of fitting, is this cable end unattached?
What terminals are supplied on the fitting?
A picture of the terminals and earth may help, the link from ebay does not!
What so called trade talk did you not understand, CPC maybe, this stands for circuit protective conductor, that is what you are calling the earth wire of the circuit. I have identified it, as what it is!

If the light has a bonded cable (earth) to metal of fitting, is this cable end unattached?
What terminals are supplied on the fitting?
A picture of the terminals and earth may help, the link from ebay does not!

The earth is connected to the fitting separate from the mains with a screw.

I will have to try get a pic upload for you.

But you do have a CPC from the incoming supply to the light?
Just connect these together and if there is a terminal block marked for earth on the fitting both in there, if not buy a small terminal connection.

But you do have a CPC from the incoming supply to the light?
Just connect these together and if there is a terminal block marked for earth on the fitting both in there, if not buy a small terminal connection.

So you mean connect the earth to the mains then purchase something else?

Hey I think I will take a pic and upload it tommorow for you guys at the moment I am drinking so info is going in both eyes and then to a mushy brain lol.

Thanks.

PS. I am not touching electricity while drinking.

Are folks not making a bit of a meal out of this? As I understand the posts, the OP has a supply with a CPC and a metal fitting with an earth terminal - so he just needs to connect one to t'other, doesn't he? As I understood it, his concern seemed to be that, although there was a facility for connecting the supply CPC to the metal 'fitting', there were only L&N wires going to the actual lampholder, which is probably not an issue.

Of course, my interpretation may be wrong, so the photos he's going to post should allow us to be sure what we're talking about, and what we should advise.

Kind Regards, John

Are folks not making a bit of a meal out of this? As I understand the posts, the OP has a supply with a CPC and a metal fitting with an earth terminal - so he just needs to connect one to t'other, doesn't he? As I understood it, his concern seemed to be that, although there was a facility for connecting the supply CPC to the metal 'fitting', there were only L&N wires going to the actual lampholder, which is probably not an issue.

Of course, my interpretation may be wrong, so the photos he's going to post should allow us to be sure what we're talking about, and what we should advise.

Kind Regards, John

100% Correct.

So you think it will be ok?

And thank you

100% Correct. So you think it will be ok? And thank you
You're welcome. It certainly sounds as if that's how it's designed to be used. If there were a need for an earth wire going to the 'lampholder' part, there would be one in the fitting.

However, some photos would still be nice, so we can all be sure that we know exactly what we're talking about.

Kind Regards, John

Some fittings have an earth terminal on the lamp holder, in which case they will have an earth wire going to the holder along with the blue and brown wires.

Some rely on good mechanical joints to give sound earth continuity from the part that has the earth wire connected to it.

Other fittings have both an earth wire going to the lamp holder and another to the body or case of the fitting.

It depends largely on the design.

Some fittings have an earth terminal on the lamp holder, in which case they will have an earth wire going to the holder along with the blue and brown wires. ... Some rely on good mechanical joints to give sound earth continuity from the part that has the earth wire connected to it. ... Other fittings have both an earth wire going to the lamp holder and another to the body or case of the fitting.
Indeed so - I reckon that's much the same as I was saying and implying when I wrote:
It certainly sounds as if that's how it's designed to be used. If there were a need for an earth wire going to the 'lampholder' part, there would be one in the fitting.
... yet another variant, of course, is that some fittings don't need any earth connection to the lampholder, so don't have one.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back