help! need guidance on WHERE or WHO to go to (joist removal)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

Just been to quote to put in a stud wall in a bedroom, no problem i thinks.

get there and she says 'AND we would like the ceiling in the bedroom completely removing and the underside of the roof plasterboarding giving us a nice high ceiling'

so from my limited understanding, the joists need to come out and the roof timbers need supporting structurally in some way to save the roof turning inside out and ending up in the bedroom.

should BC be involved first? it's an old building, victorian if not older and probably listed to some degree (she said they've just got planning to put in a small en-suite), the roof and it's timbers are quite/very new, look brand new so the whole lot has been replaced just before they moved in a few years ago.

HELP PLEEEEEEEASE! just need to know my next move.

THX in advance

Sponsored Links

With respect, I assume from this quote that you are a tradesman. If I had asked a tradesman to quote for a job, and that tradesman had promptly headed for an internet forum to ask advice on removing structural elements of my house, I would be very worried.

The fact you are asking says a lot really, this job is FAR more than just putting a stud wall in a bedroom, and from what you are saying, I make the assumption that it is more than you can reasonably handle.

Get in contact with building/planning department, and contact a structural engineer for advice. (proper one, not just a bloke with a scientific calculator)

Don't forget to invoice them for all your 'running about' time.

If I had asked a tradesman to quote for a job, and that tradesman had promptly headed for an internet forum to ask advice on removing structural elements of my house, I would be very worried.

he didnt say he was going to do the job "did he" :rolleyes: only advise on his next move.

Sponsored Links
Your next move should be to say "Sorry, it's not a job for a one-man-band. You need a structural engineer and a team of experienced builders with a carpentry background." Tell her you'll do the plaster work when the structural stuff is done. You'd probably need a crane and an RSJ purlin anyway.

If I had asked a tradesman to quote for a job, and that tradesman had promptly headed for an internet forum to ask advice on removing structural elements of my house, I would be very worried.

he didnt say he was going to do the job "did he" :rolleyes: only advise on his next move.

No, but he was evidently asking for advice on how to do the job, so evidently considering quoting. His response, upon seeing the job, should have simple been that he wasn't qualified to do the structural work but would be happy to quote for the stud wall and plasterboarding/ plastering work.

I would much rather a tradesman said to me "sorry mate, bit too much for me to take on" rather than have him look at a job with a view to quoting, then try to seek advice from an internet forum before drawing up my quote.

Thanks AR!!

indeed, i had no intention of doing it, i know my limits and that is way beyond it, just like to understand what would need doing so that i can advise her on where to go next or indeed give her a number of someone i know who may be able to help, and as she is a friend of a friend i was willing to go that extra mile for her and will be getting some smaller jobs out of it regardless.

grumpy in this section of the forum aren't they AR!? :D

yeah.......old grumps.... :LOL: :LOL: ..........talking of r/casters been quiet of late ;)

yeah i'd noticed that too, i've been quite busy and not getting back in till late myself but noticed he's not been around much either.

guessing rich c hasn't found any form of internet over in spain either

maybe just enjoying the respite tm, or his dial up aint dialling up :D

2 rules....1 if you can`t do it , say straight away. 2 charge as much as you can for what you can do ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back