Help needed choosing 2 camera's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a system I could afford (storage option system)and it came with 2 camera's . The system takes up to 4 so I 'm going to add 2 more but I don't know much about all the ratings of different camera's.

Basically, one would be pointing onto open waste land at the back of my property from on top of a 10ft 6 x 4 fence pole clear of everything so at night it would be in total blackness , no property lights or street lights and the other would be going under my fascia boards same thing pointing towards an unlit area at the rear of the property but I would love the option of zoom on the one under the fascia board one or both if possible but not a necessity .

the reason been we have our shed burgled twice in 4 months and no amount of security is stopping them. I have 6 padlocks , a Almax chain & Squire lock security lights cameras but this time they tried to take the shed roof off while I was making tea . Only for the alarm they would have got in so I am desperate.

Sponsored Links
The first question is, what do you want the cameras to do? Are you going to sit and watch them all night so you can call the police? Otherwise they will do nothing to deter thieves who are not being put off by locks, alarms and security lights.

The first question is, what do you want the cameras to do? Are you going to sit and watch them all night so you can call the police? Otherwise they will do nothing to deter thieves who are not being put off by locks, alarms and security lights.
So I can catch a mugshot, the last lot peeled back the shed roof like a can of beans and only the fact I was in the kitchen at the time and the alarm sounded (17:15) they ran. The camera inside the shed was facing from the back of the shed to the door but they tried to gain entry via the roof behind the camera. Because they are hidden behind the shed right at the back of the garden the security light didn't come on. If they would have tried the shed door it would have come on and I would have seen them from the kitchen window. I have moved the light up now but this now stops coming on when your directly under it.
I would imagine that if they came when were at work in the day and so are the neighbors that the alarm would do nothing to deter them.
Last time my shed was robbed in Sept gone they used hefty bolt crops to cut through everything, smashed the shed alarm, and got away with my bikes worth quite alot of money.
I cant bring the lawnmower and tools inside the house thats the idea of a shed.
I bought an "ALMAX & SQUIRE LOCK" to run through all the bikes but I can't protect the tools. I have locks on the gates , 2 alarmed padlocks on the front of the shed its like mini fort knox but if they wan't entry they will no matter how many.

Sponsored Links
No sarky remark, just a simple question because the sort of cameras you need will depend entirely on how you want to use them.
If you just want to see that someone is there, the cheaper things on offer will do the job. If you want a useful 'mug shot' as you put it then you will need a much higher definition camera and recorder and they cost a lot more. Bear in mind though that it probably won't be accepted as evidence.
You'll also need to decide whether the cameras should be overt as a deterrent, or covert in the hope that the intruders won't find and disable them.
I expect others might add to this if you don't bite their heads off.

The shed been attacked a few times, just you mention the last lot.

Someone knows you have stuff worth stealing from your shed.

Its not unusual for a person to be robbed several times, first time and again when the the stuff has been replaced by the insurance.

Sally is right about the cameras, its not about getting a a camera its getting the right one for what you want it to do.

What do the police have top say about the persistent burglaries?

What is the frame size of your existing recorder? Is it CIF, D1, 1080p?
That will limit what sort of camera you can fit, and how useful the pictures will be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back