Better camera for existing system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have the Digiview pro system with 4 cameras (700 TVL) expandable to 8 cameras.

I am pleased with it, good day and night vision but I am adding another camera to cover the rear of the property better.
Can you recommend a suitable camera that would have better definition for face / numberplate ID the existing ones really do not give enough quality to see that well much over 30ft or so.

I'm thinking of swapping the existing one covering front of house for a new one and fitting the old one at the back.

It covers some of the neighbours property but they are quite happy with that as it improves their security.

Sponsored Links
The problem is the distance combined with the low resolution of analogue video.

For human recognition you need a head-and-shoulders filling the image. That's fundamentally incompatible with a wide field of view.

A quick play with a lens calculator suggests you'd be looking at a 75mm lens with a 3.5 degree horizontal field of view.

You should really be looking at megapixel IP cameras

Thanks for the replies, it seems a bit difficult for a novice to figure out what is best (that's why I went with a kit) if you look at ordinary stills cameras you can get some idea from the number of megapixels or maker /size of the lens, but cctv does not seem so straightforward.

Any suggestions for a model of camera to go for please?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are limited by the resolution of that analogue recorder, which a quick Google shows is 704 x 576. So you will not be able to use either IP or HD-SDI cameras.
All you can do to get a better picture is use a narrower angle lens, with of course a narrower coverage.
You are not the first to discover that the cheaper CCTV systems are limited in picture quality.

Hikvision turbo range 1080p cameras 2mp also yon can mix and match with standard cctv cameras and depending on model of dvr you can add 1/2 IP cameras

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back