Help needed, curious alarm problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping that someone can help me out with a really perplexing issue. I have recently had a new house built, the builder had full access and a full set of keys. Have now had a Honeywell Galaxy 2 Series fitted. This was working fine for a couple of weeks, then one of the side door contacts failed and I was unable to arm the system. The alarm company visited a couple of weeks ago and changed the sensor. All was well again.

Last week I went away on holiday. I set the alarm with my husband, he listened for the beeping noise to stop and the two final beeps to denote the system was armed. All appeared to be well.

On return from holiday, the alarm was not on. This seemed really odd, as we had both set it. I checked the event log and there was no mention in it of any event happening on the day we left. The only thing showing were the AUTO TST entries at 4.32 for each day that we were away. I am certain that we set the alarm, if it had failed to arm for some reason or we had accidentally aborted it there would be an entry in the log and there is nothing.

Contacted the alarm company and they have no answers, just keep an eye on it. My question is, if someone had access to the Engineers codes, and access to keys, could they have come in and been able to delete the evidence from the event log that they had entered?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Simple answer to your question... NO

It is not possible to modify the log in any way (other than by adding new events).

To be sure that your alarm is setting, get one of you to set it and leave, in the normal way, whilst the other one sits still inside. Once it's set, jump up and walk round the house - the alarm should go off. Once you've unset and reset the alarm, check the log.

Of course, if this is a communicated alarm (it calls a central station) you should call the ARC first, or, better still, get your alarm company in to sort it out.

I checked the event log and there was no mention in it of any event happening on the day we left. The only thing showing were the AUTO TST entries at 4.32 for each day that we were away.

Were the events prior to your holiday still showing in the log ? Ie. The engineers visit and initial power on ?

I checked the event log and there was no mention in it of any event happening on the day we left. The only thing showing were the AUTO TST entries at 4.32 for each day that we were away.

Were the events prior to your holiday still showing in the log ? Ie. The engineers visit and initial power on ?

That's what I was going to say - The chip in the panel could be changed, or the whole panel, presenting a blank log. You would still get some logs in there though for engineer access etc i guess.

You need to ask yourself why though, and would anyone go to that effort.

Sponsored Links

That's what I was going to say - The chip in the panel could be changed, or the whole panel, presenting a blank log. You would still get some logs in there though for engineer access etc i guess.

You need to ask yourself why though, and would anyone go to that effort.

I was thinking more along the lines of a fault with the panel and NVM erase, but the G2 NVM holds the logs and the setup, so it would be unlikely.

Don't be so daft.

In using Galaxy of all flavours since the they were first introduced I would believe the Galaxy Log in all instances.

Don't be so daft.

In using Galaxy of all flavours since the they were first introduced I would believe the Galaxy Log in all instances.

Daft ? I don't think so.

As we haven't seen the actual log, then I'm merely trying to ascertain the facts.

Having worked on the internals of the Galaxy, I understand the architecture and underlying mechanisms.

Or is it, since they started making them in china ( like some other companies have also done) strange things have happened and cant be explained, have seen it on other panels, and tech support say " never known that happen" yet I am not the only installer to have the same problem..

Hi,

thanks everyone for your replies. The log was present for the period of time before we went away. It does seem evident that it simply didn't set, but I really don't understand why. We heard the beeps and yet there is nothing in the log for that day. It is really curious and concerning, since this is the first time that it has been set for any length of time, it has only ever been on for a few hours at at time before.

Keeping an eye on it as suggested by the alarm company doesn't seem like a pretty good solution to me, as it means that the fault may be only occur when we are away for a few days, precisely when we need an alarm!

Thanks everyone for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back