Help needed filling water in Vaillant eco Pro tec 24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help!

We had a new boiler system fitted 2 weeks ago and all's been well until now. We had to remove a radiator in a bedroom to decorate and now our water pressure has dropped too low for the boiler to function (error message F22 - dry fire...whatever this means?!)

We have a Vaillant eco pro tec 24, so no filling loops like there is on the 'plus' models. The manual isn't clear enough for us to 'fiddle' ourselves (using a hose etc) and the Vaillant customer services aren't open, it's Sunday.

I wonder if you know this is something we can fix ourselves.....we cannot get hold of our boiler installer either and it's a bit cold :(

Thanks in advance for any help!

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanks but as I mentioned in my message, it's a pro model so no filling loop. Filling loops are on plus models.

Okay i've looked at instructions for your boiler, look underneath and you will see two plastic taps on two of the pipes which are at right angles to the pipes 1 heating pipe and the incoming water mains turn them so that they are inline with pipes until pressure has risen to 1.5 bar approx then put them back in there original position.

Sponsored Links
There will either be a filling loop on the system pipe work or within the boiler, at the bottom on the right hand side (look underneath it).

Thank you. I've just had a look, and there's definately only 1 tap underneath. The manual tells me the 'pro' model (which ours is) does not have filling loops, but the 'plus' model does. :rolleyes:

5.4.1 Checking the filling pressure of the heating
system
bar
i F P
plus pro
bar
Fig. 5.1 Checking the filling pressure of the heating system
Note
The ecoTEC appliances come with a manometer
and a digital pressure indicator.
The manometer allows you to quickly check
whether the filling pressure is in target range or
not even when the appliance is turned off.
If the appliance is in operation, you can display
the exact pressure by pressing the “-” (2).
For the heating system to operate properly, the indicator
on the manometer (1) must be in the dark grey area
when the system is cold. This corresponds to a filling
pressure between 1.0 and 2.0 bar. If the pointer is in the
light grey area, please refill water.
If the heating system extends over several storeys, the
system may require a higher filling pressure.
5.4.2 ecoTEC plus combination boiler filling loop
The ecoTEC plus combination boiler will be delivered
with a filling loop.
Fig. 5.2 Filling device ecoTEC plus combination boiler
• Insert the double check valve (1) of the filling pipe at
the cold water shutoff valve and secure the double
check valve with the spring clip (2).
• To fill, first open the stop valve (3).
• Open the stop valve (4), so that water flows into the
heating system. Fill the heating system as described in
Section 5.4.4.
• Close both stop valves after filling and detach the filling
device by pulling the double check valve from the
cold water stop valve.
Note
Both stop valves must be closed while operating
the heating system and the filling pipe must
be again detached at the double check valve.
Fig. 5.3 Double check valve detached while heating

Can't get picture but above is MI filling instructions for both Pro and Plus models, if you have Mi look at section 5.4 and you will see taps etc.

Either you will have 2 plastic knobs under the boiler that say closed or you will have a seperate silver braided filling loop somewhere.

Really appreciate your help with this!

We've sorted it. There is only 1 tap underneath, which when you turn it it wasn't actually turning the valve. So upon removing the plastic tap and turning the actual valve with a pair of grips, we managed to refill the boiler to the required pressure.

At least we'll know what to do next time we bleed a radiator.

Thanks again. :D

In future please start a new thead when people see it is from 2008 they will probably ignore it

In your second picture you can see 2 chrome valves there should be a flexible braided hose between these that has correctly been removed (it shouldn't be left connected) possibly someone has put it ontop of the boiler

If not you need to by a new one from a plumbers merchant or DIY shed you will need to by a filling loop and connect it between these 2 valves then open the valves with a slotted screwdriver

Hi (Gasservice1985)
Bought the loop, fixed it and the boiler is working well as before.
Many thanks for the timely advice on fixing the boiler (also the posting).
Regards
:D

No problem you should remove the hose again to comply with water regs just keep it ontop of you boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back