Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am in need of a little help...

Boiler: Worcester Bosch RD532i
Current Thermostat: TR2 Room Thermostat
New Thermostat: BHT-6000

I want to fit the new thermostat to the boiler, but the wiring is very confusing and even though I have extensive knowledge of renovation, some wiring and plumbing etc - I'm not certain on this.

Please see attached photos and any advice would you very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, you can't. Unfortunately the TR2 is a special Worcester product for boilers with optimum start capability and is not interchangeable with standard room thermostats. They work in a completely different way and the wiring is not compatible.

i'll top it up now - just installed a new rad.

So even if I just wanted it to control on/off and room temperature... there is no way? I did read on another forum it's possible to install nest on these boilers you just have to turn the thermostat setting off in the boiler programming settings

It seems stupid that to have a modern way of controlling my heating, I would have to replace the boiler!

Sponsored Links
Indeed! The problem is caused because the TR2 thermostat instead of being a simple on/off switch like other thermostats, it is effectively part of the main control panel on the front of the boiler which it communicates with using the three wires. I know of a few attempts in the past to try and connect external controls directly to the boiler, but AFAIK none have been successful.

The manual for the WBRD532i sort of hints at its incompatibility with other controls:

wb.JPG

Hive have now got to the point of flagging it up on their website that this boiler is not compatible with proprietary external controls:

Capture.JPG

It's not actually a Hive the OP is fitting. I just used the info to show that the boiler can only be operated by a TR2, and not other proprietary external controls, Hive / Nest / BHT etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back