Help needed Flat running of a tank, but should i have

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help needed Flat running of a tank in the loft, but should i have one tap in the house running of the main water pipe?

I have just bought a my fist flat and the house report said mains water so did not think to check. so i moved in and and found i did not get 1bar to fill up the combie boiler. so i called the water guys out. i was not in when they arrived. and they said all the water is feed from a tank in the loft.

so i called the people that done the home report and they said when they said mains water they meant it is main water feeding the tank. so will not pay out to change over to mains.

My question is by law should there not be one tap in the flat that runs off main water for drinking water. i have checked Google but cannot find anything. just heard this so don't no how true or false it is.

it is not a big job to change over to main as the pipes all run to the tank.

also i have found a old Lead pipe in the flat that is connected to a plastic pipe that feels cold to the touch. and this pips run up with 2 other plastic pipes. (i am guessing one is feeding the tank in the loft and the other one feeds my house) but that leaves me with 1 other pipe could be the half lead one. but as i said when i feel it. it feel cold like there is running water in it? should all lead pips not be replaced by now>?

thanks for you help
Andy

Sponsored Links
kinda scary tho with lead poisoning and have a baby on the well. going to get it looked in to before then. tho.

Your kitchen tap should be fed from the mains.

Some pictures of the pipework might help us to identify them.

Sponsored Links
Lead pipe has been out there for donkeys years on older properties so lots of babies have come through unscathed. I eseem to recall water companies add something to the water to counteract the effects of lead but that might be me dreaming (or maybe it's the lead ....... :confused: )

Loads of lead pipe still out there and serving us well.
And poisoning people.

Got any actual proof that lead pipe is the cause? Millions of houses still served by lead pipe. I'm sure in these days of scaremongering someone would, by now, have come up with statistical proof that everyone living in those properties has 2 heads or drops dead every few days.

Tetra Ethyl Lead is much more poisonous - All those reps in their Cortinas :rolleyes:

Our incoming water main is in lead and continues in lead for about 4m in our cellar, as it bends around 2 curved corners and is hidden in an architrave it is too much hassle to bother replacing. It has been like that since before I was born and has not had any adverse affect on me or my 3 brothers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back