Help needed! Hive heating and hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After many google searches I’ve come across this forum, I’m just about at my wits end!

My current switch master SM300 has finally died and I’ve decided to buy a Hive heating and hot water earlier on today and have been trying to set up all evening/ night!

I’m abit of a novice with wiring however I was told it was fairly easy to do!

I tried to copy like for like with the wiring however it’s blowing the fuse every time and after trying different wiring setups, I’ve just about had enough!

My setup:
Potterton Kingfisher II
Switch master SM300 with timed/ off/ constant switch
Horstmann Centuarstat 7 in hallway
Hot water cylinder in upstairs airing cupboard

Can someone please assist where I’m going wrong and maybe help with wiring up new hive?

I’ve currently taken it apart and put old SM300 on as I can still use the functions on constant.

Any help is much appreciated

Attachments

• CBBCB50B-E508-4479-B0A3-FB97221B87E7.jpeg
    CBBCB50B-E508-4479-B0A3-FB97221B87E7.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
The switch master SM300 is a single channel time switch not a programmer, so you will need a bit of rewiring the Dual channel hive wont just accomodat the wires in there, we need to know what system you have, I think it will be gravity HW a pic of your HW cyl should show it

Hi Ian

Cylinder in airing cupboard and fed via tank in loft

potterton kingfisher II in kitchen has pump for CH if this helps?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 129
Yes you have a gravity HW system, you can wire the hive to work with this, but you wont get individual control of the CH you will only be able to have HW on its own, or CH+HW at the same time

Sponsored Links
That’s ok. How do I go about that?

I have the heating and hot water hive, should I return and get the single heating hive?

You have a boiler and a pump, and the Hive supplies each independently, so when you want central heating boiler and pump is supplied, but for domestic hot water only the boiler is supplied. Since you don't need access to the Hive base it can be fitted close to boiler.

I did same in my house with Nest, the base (heat link) is in the annex with boiler but thermostat head is in the hall in main house. I used old cables but wired from scratch.

no you need the twin channel which you have, is there a wiring diagram on the back of the cover of the SM300 ? can you post a pic if there is, you have wires in 1&2 I would have expected it to be 1&3 but cant find a diagram for the SM300

Hi Ian

appreciate the help, uploaded a few pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 114
You would be better totally ripping that lot out and start from scratch, LN&E are constants (the hive doent need an E but the boiler and pump do).

3 on Hive to Boiler L
4 on Hive to Pump live
No links anywhere

Totally discard everything else and set Hive to Gravity HW

Last edited:
How do you mean ripping out?

Unless I rip out the walls I can’t trace the wiring?

How do I know what’s the boiler L and the pump L?

you will just have to follow them, I use a multi meter to ping them , but sorry no easy way with your pics to tell you what is where, just dont go by colours they mean nothing

Just a question to ask.

Do I need to link the N or L to any other terminals? Or is that just for the timer motor on the old SM300?

Or will I need to link to power the system boiler pumps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back