Help needed! Hive heating and hot water

The two lives in 2 on the SM300 one feeds the heating one feeds the boiler, disconnect one and turn thermostat up and see what runs is it the pump or the boiler then you have identified which is which

Sponsored Links
Disconnected L to 4 and nothing at all - even when thermostat clicks

Disconnected N to 2 whilst L to 4 connected and nothing at all

seems both required? For the SM300 at least.

which is why I said that Stem has more patience , I never asked you to do any of that , I said remove 1 wire from terminal 2 and then turn everything on with the thermostat turned up and see what runs the pump or the boiler, leave everything else alone until we kidentify what you have

My apologies just looked again and it is the two wires in terminal 1 remove 1 of them not 2

Sponsored Links
You should be able to use the existing cables, but you will need to know what they are presently connected to. If you're not able to trace them with electrical test equipment, you may need to trace them physically. You should identify the following cables:

1. Mains supply from 3A fused connection unit
2. Pump
3. Boiler
4. Room thermostat.

Once you have identified the cables, to connect Hive to a gravity hot water system with pumped central heating, the cable going to the room thermostat cable is completely disconnected and removed. The remining cables / wires can be connected to a dual channel Hive as follows:

Hive.JPG

The earth wires should all be connected to the Hive earth tether.

Once the wires are connected, the Hive should be set to gravity mode.

inst.JPG

Some boilers also need a permanent live connection, but if my memory serves me correctly I don't think yours does. Post back if in any doubt.

Thanks Ian & Thanks Stem

Will have another go shortly.

Will the Hive link the terminal 3 & 4 internally? Or will I have to use a wired link on the terminals?

Appreciate the patience and help.

NO LINKS anywhere, you risk damaging the hive if you use any links, none needed, very easy once you identify which wires are which, again ignore wire colours

Hi Ian & Stem

All up and running perfect - once thermostat wires identified and with Stems diagram it took less than 5 mins to get up and running once set in gravity mode.

Again much appreciated for your help and patience!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back