Help needed! How do I put on this pipe reducer?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of replacing a bust TRV with a new one (essentially a like-for-like replacement).

The valves are standard 15mm but the house piping is 10mm. I have a 15-10mm reducer and had to saw off the old one (as you can see in the photo below).

My question on the new pipe reducer is this: do I need an olive with this reducer or will it compress and create a seal? I have tried stacking up the reducer and olive with the new TRV in every single combination and none of them work. The old bits didn't seem to include an olive so I'm just wondering if the new one is the same idea?

New (left) vs Old (right) TRV plus bits
View media item 93697
The pipe at the moment:
View media item 93696

Sponsored Links
You need to dispense with the olive but you'll not get a good seal on that pipe, it's crushed too badly, it needs cutting back and a new bit soldering onto the end

Would a bit of PTFE tape around the compressed bit the thr the pipe do thr job? I know its not ideal but if it would work....

It might. If it doesn't then you have to drain down again. Replace the damaged pipe and do a proper job. If you can't solder then you may have enough room for a compression fitting. Not a professional looking repair, but it is another option.

Sponsored Links
If you cant solder then lower the rad an inch and cut opposite pipe down, or get a pro in.

Thanks for the help guys.

Successfully put the new TRV on with no leakages so far. Got round the already-compressed pipe by putting on some PTFE tape and jointing compound to try and bulk up the compressed area a bit. Seems to have worked a charm.

:rolleyes: Nothing like a bit of bodging to avoid doing things properly....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back