Help needed identifying valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a 3 port compact manifold, which can be seen here:
http://www.alternativeheat.co.uk/products/underfloor-heating/manifolds/compact-manifolds/index.php

The manifold itself is for 16mm pipe, however our floor was laid with 15mm pipe. The supplier suggested I replace the valves, there exact wording was:
"Screw the existing valves and associated tails out of the manifold and insert ½” male iron to copper straights which will enable you to connect the 15mm pipe directly into the manifold".

I'm not sure which of the items I need from ScrewFix. And would appreciate it someone could just give me the direct Screwfix links, or part number.

Notice the nut is already fixed to the manifold port, which has a curved convexed connector with seal.
manifold-port.jpg

I need two connectors, one straight, one L shaped. They don't need to have valves as I already have those on the feed and return pipes. Below shows pictures of the two items I need to replace. Notice that while they are male connectors, they have a curved concave inner. The connectors I'm finding either have the nuts fixed on them, or the male part has no inner concave curve to allow it to seal.
valves.jpg

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Notice the nut is already fixed to the manifold port, which has a curved convexed connector with seal.
manifold-port.jpg

that's the tail and nut, it will screw out
if you look at the inner bore you will see that it is hex shaped to accept a big enough allen wrench

the half inch iron to 15 mm copper adaptor will then screw in its place

Matt

if you look at the inner bore you will see that it is hex shaped to accept a big enough allen wrench

Matt

OK will give it a try. There seems to be a number of brands, any particular that you recommend? I'd rather pay a premium for something that will be easy to fit and long wearing and lower risk of leak, than skimp on cost.

Mark

Sponsored Links

Matt

OK will give it a try. There seems to be a number of brands, any particular that you recommend? I'd rather pay a premium for something that will be easy to fit and long wearing and lower risk of leak, than skimp on cost.

Mark
You are right. I found an allen key and it was incredibly stiff - took all my strength to undo it.
tail.jpg

Interestingly they got it to seal without any ptfe tape. I originally tried to use brass adapters to convert the existing valves back to 15mm. I used tape, but it leaked like a b'stard. Not sure what I did wrong, wrapped 5 times around. maybe it was due to cheap homebase ptfe tape, or maybe it was becuase the adapter was twice the depth of the valve thread and turning it too many times eventually pulled the tape away.

I'll use ptfe tape anyway on the replacement connectors, not worth the risk. Will get better quality tape this time, but will still try and get a tail that has a seal like theirs. Any recommendations for the connector brand that will least likely give me problems?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back