Help needed on how to fit new handrails into existing newels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have decided to replace our existing stairparts, leaving in place just the existing newel posts.

When the handrails were removed we noticed that they were fitted by using a mortice and tenon fixing into the newel posts as I had to cut the handrails in half to get them removed.

Now the each newel post has 1 or 2 slots showing for the existing handrail.

I would like to know how I could fit the new hardwood handrails onto the existing newel posts and to make sure that it will be structurally rigid as I have 2 kids!

The new hardwood handrails has not come with any fittings as it was a special order.

Thanks in advance.

Cybertek

Sponsored Links
if the old tennons are a good fit and not loose[well glued ] just leave them in and cut/sand flush
if not clean up re glue or make a new tennon to fill flush

then use the threaded rod /bolt system being carefull not to countersink to far thus finnishing up tightening up against the old tennon which is likly to be 1/2 to 3/4 through the newel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back