Help needed on Valve that is near hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In our previous house we had a valve similar to this that if it was closed allowed the radaitor to be really hot. Also when the valve was open the radiators would only been warm to mild hot.

In our new house I am wondering if the valve within the square that is feed off pipe A is the same.

Or if people could tell me what would happen if I closed this value and what would happen if the valve is open.

Currently the valve is has two complete turns open (from closed)

Any and all help grateful, esp in this cold weather.

Cheers

Coops

//www.diynot.com/network/coops1975/albums/

//picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/yHRFrGBCmDcKioK1bhMCng?feat=directlink

Sponsored Links
if you are talking about a gate valve dont close it completely, it might be the bypass and your boiler might need it for overrun and heat dissipation if everything else is shut.

Hi Nickso,

Thanks for the quick response.

I have added a photo album from DIYNOT, as I cannot get the photos to link or inbed via picasa.

Are your comments still the same based on seeing the pictures?

Cheers again

Ckcoops

control the flow through the cylinder stop all the cylinder nicking the flow from the rads when both heating/hw on

Sponsored Links
Hi Seco Services

When HW and CH are on together, I can completely close the valve, thus stopping the cylinder from taking heat from the Rads. Would this mean that I would stop the HW from heating up?

So, by closing the valve it does what? and by opening the valve it will allow the HW nick the heat intended for the CH.

Is this right?

Cheers

ckcoops

if you turn it off you will get no hw.

can i ask why you think this valve specifically is stealing heat from the rads? a toning valve does help but the rads should still heat up even with the valve fully open or missing.

Hi nickso

Its just the main pipe goes into the floor, and a smaller diameter pipe continues up towards the valve in box A. If you look in the forth picture down (i have removed the insulation) you can just see the pipe going into the floor.

It seems like its some sort of bypass. With the heating on only, I notice that when the valve is closed, the right of the valve to the cylinder is cold and as soon as I open the valve up Hot water goes towards the cylinder.

Where cold water from boiler should return(i believe)

Any further thoughts and comments welcome.

Cheers

coops

ah, i was looking at the wrong valve. yes that appears to be a bypass. leave it open a little bit, not likely your system will need it that often though.

Hi Nickso

Cheers for your help

If this is a bypass, do you know what it bypasses.

I will leave it open 1/2 turn to 1,

Also what would happen if I were to close it?

Cheers

coops

Seco Services

Are you saying to closed the valve completey?

Does anybody else have any thougths

Cheers

coops

if you talking about the top bypass valve or the one on the cylinder return at the bottom ?

You have a mid position motorised valve so no need for a bypass valve so just close it.

Hi, Seco Services

I am talking about the valve in the white box in this picture.

Is it a bypass valve?

I just called it this, but I am unsure

I just labelled the pipe A to show where it led and that it is connected to the same pipe and that the valve is connect to the pipe

Cheers

Coops

[/img]

Namsag

Yes, we do have a mid position valve. And is it a bypass ?

We had a mid bypass at our old house and we had a loop / bypass similar to this one.

If I close it, will anything happen damage wise?

Is just that I am thinking, why would they add the bypass if it were not needed in the first place??

Cheers

Coops

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back