help needed please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there...

I hope someone is able to help, it's needed urgently......

I have an old Valliant Combi boiler with a British gas EMT2 timer fitted and a room thermostat downstairs.

The room thermostat dated to the 60's so I brought a Honeywell T6360 to replace it. When I took the old one off I found a red,black and earth cable, and a single red on it's own. I was advised..(hmm) to firstly try wiring the thermostat without using the single red. I did this but the boiler wouldn't fire up. I was then advised (hmm) to simply connect the 2 red wires together. This had the desired effect the boiler sprung to life... however when I lowered the thermostat past the switching point the trip switch clicked.

When I turned the power back on I found that the boiler wouldn't fire up again. There is a light on the timer and I can hear the clock mechanism working. I have since put the old thermostat back on and still the boiler wont fire up.

I have now been advised, by someone else!!.. that I dont really need the thermostat as the house is only small and needs to be cranked up to make any difference anyway, so does anyone know first of all how I would I remove the thermostat from the circuit?? Does anyone know how they are wired into this timer..??

The other thing I need to know is is there a fuse in the timer or boiler that will have blown when the power tripped?? There is obviously power getting to the timer as the mech and light is still working, it just doesn't seem to be getting out the other side...

Your help in this is very much appreciated.!!

Dougie

Sponsored Links
Here's the help you need;

Stop taking 'advice' from the people giving it, they obviously know buugger all.

Don thick rubber gloves and rubber soled shoes.

Keep experimenting by connecting different pretty coloured wires to different terminals on the timer.

Keep your fingers crossed, and try not to touch the boiler casing or any pipework attached to it.

After one week, or in the event of your local electrical suppliers stock of new fuses becoming full depleted, come to your senses and get a Corgi bloke in!

fuse in boiler has probably blown 1or2 amp fast blow
1 Red should go to termial 1 of stat other red to terminal 3 and the black to termial 2

Sponsored Links
namsag.. thankyou!!! for your help!!.. I've not done it yet.. but will give it a go, thanks... Do you have any knowledge of where I will find the fuse in the boiler.?? I'm a bit apprehensive of taking the cover off it, but don't anticipate it being a problem if I only need to replace the fuse...

Would there also be a fuse in the timeswitch too..??

Thanks again

Dougie

Some vaillant fuses are on the boards others are in little plug in holders so depends on model.
No fuse in timer usually

awesome!!... thankyou!!! I'll whip the cover off and give it a look!!..

Thanks for responding in such a helpful way!!!.. unlike some of the sarcastic answers I have encountered on this forum before!!...

Thanks!

Dougie

Dont worry Agile will be along later to oblige you. :LOL: :LOL:

Turn power off before you open as there is still a live to boiler even though its not working

Here's the help you need;

Stop taking 'advice' from the people giving it, they obviously know buugger all.

Don thick rubber gloves and rubber soled shoes.

Keep experimenting by connecting different pretty coloured wires to different terminals on the timer.

Keep your fingers crossed, and try not to touch the boiler casing or any pipework attached to it.

After one week, or in the event of your local electrical suppliers stock of new fuses becoming full depleted, come to your senses and get a Corgi bloke in!

oh yet another incarnation :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back