Help needed to identify speaker connector size...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of the plastic screw caps have broken off a pair of speakers. I usually just connect the cable bare via the screw cap and slot.

How do I determine the guage of the screwtop, or were I to go down the 'banana' connector route is the size I would need the internal dimension of the existing connector as shown below?
I'd prefer not to dismantle the back of the speaker, but so far I haven't found anywhere that stocks just the caps. Gone are the days of popping down to maplins!

Cheers

speaker.jpg

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
AFAIK banana plugs are a standard 4mm.

I had seen 6mm ones advertised, but maybe that is max cable size?

I was hoping to carry on using the stripped cable/screw cap method something like below, but not sure if thread is universal - it doesn't look like it is.
Link

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ellal,
You could look here for a something similar "speaker binding post", buy the cheapest, and just use top screw down section.
You would need to cross your fingers that they are the same size, but might be worth the try for £3.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...313&_nkw=banana+plug+speaker+sockets&_sacat=0
or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...m570.l1313&_nkw=speaker+binding+post&_sacat=0
SFK
As in my reply above, the threads look different.

Thanks for helping expand my search term words, as I didn't know they were called 'binding posts'.

You are probably right as the ones on your Speakers also look like a captive thread, in that the thread does not go all the way to the top to stop the caps from being fully unscrewed.

For all the speakers and lab gear that I use, I buy and use "4mm Banana plugs".

SFK

I'm probably going to have to 'bite the banana' and change my connection method then...lol
(I'm assuming that the screw cap isn't required to 'anchor' the banana connector?)

I have some chrome plated binding posts from Monitor Audio that look very similar to yours. The caps aren't removable though.

Binding Posts.jpg

Ellal,
Banana connectors are friction held in the hole, the screw cap is not needed.
Banana connectors can go into the top hole or side hole (which you used for cable) - Although in your photo the side hole looks a bit obscured by the mounting nut.
SFK

Thanks for all the replies.
Have just ordered a set of banana plugs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back