Help to identify sockets/connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I could do with some help for the forum in identifying the connectors & sockets I recently found in the garden of my new home. I've linked to some pictures are at the end of this post. They are metal, with a rubber end cap, a top screw, which links earth to the outer metal and are marked as 5 AMP.

Currently one of the two sockets is in use, I'd like to use the other one, but can't find the connectors anywhere. RS and Farnell were my last resort, however not joy.

Thanks in advance,

ChrisC.

plug1.jpg

plug2.jpg

plug3.jpg

plug4.jpg

Sponsored Links
seems a bit odd to have a 4 pin plug used domestically they are almost certainly being used in a nonstandard way (4 pin plugs and sockets are meant for 3 phase which i very much doubt you have). I'm betting someone used some stuff that was pinched from work or something.

are both sockets 4 pin?

what is the existing plug feeding?

do you have any idea where this setup is fed from or feeds too.

They appear to be lewden plugs, unfortunately while tlc ( http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...dex/Weatherproof_Plugs_and_Sockets/index.html ) have a range of lewden plugs and sockets they don't seem to have the 4 pin 5A one

however it seems lewden do sell direct, http://www.lewden.com/cgi-bin/lewden/store/commerce.cgi?product=PD844P seems to be the plug you want assuming your other socket is also 4 pin 5A.

The socket you have is actually a 3 phase socket, and the predecessor to the commando range, and are common in older factory installations.

I cant think of their name. May be rayrolle? Someone else may know.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
seems a bit odd to have a 4 pin plug used domestically they are almost certainly being used in a nonstandard way (4 pin plugs and sockets are meant for 3 phase which i very much doubt you have). I'm betting someone used some stuff that was pinched from work or something.

are both sockets 4 pin?

what is the existing plug feeding?

do you have any idea where this setup is fed from or feeds too.

They appear to be lewden plugs, unfortunately while tlc ( http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...dex/Weatherproof_Plugs_and_Sockets/index.html ) have a range of lewden plugs and sockets they don't seem to have the 4 pin 5A one

however it seems lewden do sell direct, http://www.lewden.com/cgi-bin/lewden/store/commerce.cgi?product=PD844P seems to be the plug you want assuming your other socket is also 4 pin 5A.

First thank you both for the reply and the info. I shall get one on order ;) It's no wonder I couldn't find them.

To answer the questions :-

It's currently just twin and earth, one pin is unused. It's fed from the house via what used to be a 13 AMP plug but is now on a RCD of it's own from the consumer unit, into a lean-to at the back of the house and then an amoured around run to these connectors at the pond. The second socket is indeed a 4 pin. The feed from the current socket goes to a pond pump and some lighting. I noticed TLC have a 30AMP version of the same socket, not a bad price, although overkill for a pond I think ;)

It is indeed very odd to have a 3 phase connector, although not a great surprise, the house is 32 years old and the second owner was a bit of an electrical obsessive as I understand it ;) He seems to have done a solid job of all his work though. The lady I bought the house off, was the exact opposite and leathal. The story behind me finding the connectors is a good one. I recently found the RCD that now feeds this connector kept tripping (it was a 13AMP plug and a hole in the wall when I moved in) I followed the wiring (nicely done armoured cable to the two concealed 5 AMP metal connectors) sadly it went very wrong after this. I'm guessing that at some point a new fish pump had to be installed and I presume they couldn't get hold of the connectors. Someone had the bright idea of cutting off the cable from the connector and patching a piece in between. This was done with 3 AMP (?) chockie block and for the “Piesta Resistance” wrapped up (presumably for insulation) with a couple of cleaning cloths (the yellow fluffy type) which after 8 years or so, were by now rather sodden. To add to my woes the flex they had patched in to this death trap was some old lamp flex or some such and had decayed so much over the years the wire colours were no longer visible! All in all it made for an interesting adventure. The version you see in the picture is the flex replaced with some Artic cable I had lying around and the fish pump connection is now much more cozy in it's IP68 home ;)

Once again thanks for the info folks, it's very much appreciated. I'm off to order some connectors.

Regards

ChrisC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back