New Sockets..am i being SAFE

thanks for all your help....sadly there is little possibilty of me putting in larger boxes or moving the cable....but i will get a 32amp connector terminal and stick that in as i believe that it is being used on a ring...

Sponsored Links
So when you used 15A connectors you had a very difficult job pushing the sockets in.

And now you propose to use 30A ones.

You do realise, I hope, that you run a real risk of damaging the cables and/or the sockets?

Arguably what you are doing is not reasonably safe, in which case it would be illegal.

Perhaps he can use a backbox extension to bring it forward a bit?

I'm sure they must exist.

ok, this is what i plan to do.....

1. replace the 15a terminal connector with a 30a one
2. Cut a large hole out of the back of the backbox to allow more freedom for the cables.... basicly where the cables come out of the walls prevent a larger backbox to be installed, they wont budge either..plus i am hitting this cavity wall.
3 as i am away for a month i will turn off the power to these plugs to avoid any disasters...however am i right in thinking that the only fire risk would come if the circuit was overloaded by appliances etc and that there ampage was over 30, as my 15amp termianl connector may melt. if nothing is pulling from the circuit i guess all is ok????

Sponsored Links
2. Cut a large hole out of the back of the backbox to allow more freedom for the cables.... basicly where the cables come out of the walls prevent a larger backbox to be installed
I don't understand that - if the cables can go further back if you cut a hole in the back box (and presumably cut the wall behind it away as well), why can't you fit a deeper box?

Cutting the box risks weakening it, and risks creating a chafing hazard.

plus i am hitting this cavity wall.
Cavity walls are the norm in the UK. All standard socket boxes are fine for them.

3 as i am away for a month i will turn off the power to these plugs to avoid any disasters...however am i right in thinking that the only fire risk would come if the circuit was overloaded by appliances etc and that there ampage was over 30, as my 15amp termianl connector may melt. if nothing is pulling from the circuit i guess all is ok????
Unless you've damaged the cables by forcing everything in...

its complicated, but i take ya point..and will try to get a bigger box in if i can.... but i still think the cables will still have trouble getting in just due to how they are postioned in the walls...i will try and get a photo up when i get back...

but is my science correct regarding the terminal blocks, if i have not damaged the cables (which i am confident i have not)

OP, B-A-S...

Is the OP saying the cable enters the box through the *cavity* inner leaf?
Otherwise I can not see WHY the cables enter the back of a sunk box.

If the cables go along the surface of the wall in the plaster, then they must enter the top/bottom/sides of the backbox and not the rear otherwise you risk crushing them.
Also the sheath of the cable must enter the backbox and not merely the insulated conductors.

Any chance of a photo?

basily its a really old house, therefore the cables sit really deep in the walls pointing upwards.... even with a 35 mm box there would be no way of getting them to enter the bottom of the box as they are simply to far back.... i have managed to make enough space to avoid them being crushed against the 25 mm box and the wall, sadly i am unable to get the sheaths to enter the box so just the inner cables enter...i have taped up the box to avoid any snaggin and as the socket dont move i can see no way of them messing up the cables...

that make sense??

cant supply any pics but here is a really bad diagram to try and explain..

basicly the front cable(which is a spur) is so far forward it would not fit in a backbox along with the 2 ring cables, as they are so far back... see first pic

i have thus got the spur cable (including sheath) to go into the 25 mm backbox and have got the seperate wires for the ring entering from thre rear..second pic View media item 1988 View media item 1989

Ah, I did wonder...

Options...
1. Get a spark to run new cables NOT in the cavity

This is actually your best solution as it gets a proper job done.
You could do it yourself if you can identify the previous socket in the chain or ring and the cable path.

2. Move the socket up the wall, make a new hole thro to cavity & pull cable in

This way you have more cable AND can use a 35mm backbox.
If the wall is as shallow as you suggest, you bring the cable through the wall above the socket and drop it down into the top of the backbox.

PLEASE do not leave it with chocolate blocks stuffed into 25mm boxes. All it takes is a pinched wire and you can have a fire.

ok this is what i am going to do...NOW

1. Remove the 25 mm block
2. Stick in a 35 mm block which i will modifi by cutting out the bottom or the back so that the sheaths can get into it.
3. i will use crimps to extend the cable rather that chocs (terminal connectors).

would that then be safe....?????????

if you fit the box an inch lower, you will have an extra inch f spare cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back