metal plug socket problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting new metal plug sockets in my lounge which isn't a problem as I've done it before.

the problem is that the new metal sockets have a slightly different connection arrangement to the existing plastic ones, meaning that in one of the sockets, the earth cable won't quite reach the earth terminal.

can i extend the earth inside the socket with one of those little connector blocks or is that dangerous.

if the earth reaches the metal backbox, can i send it there first and then use a bit of cable to connect from here to the socket (the reverse of how its normally done).

thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do either, though crimping of the cable is preferred. The Main thing is earth continuity. If you can as an added extra, get a martindale/plug tester to ensure your earth is there ;)

might have dreamt it but im sure ive read something about earths from the ring been connected to the socket first.

i always do this anyway as a matter of course. definetly id go with crimping if you have the tools or even soldering.

the choc blocks might mean your pushed for space and i think crimping and soldering is more permenant! :LOL:

might have dreamt it but im sure ive read something about earths from the ring been connected to the socket first.

That rings a bell, it would make sense, though done correctly he may be able to get away with it (Cough Cough) :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember it used to be earths to the back box then a link to the socket, but while I was an apprentice about 10 - 15 years ago they changed their mind to the more sensible approach of earth to the socket first then link to the back box.

If IRC it was an NICEIC reccomendation rather than a reg.

thanks for your input guys.

do i need special pliers to create a crimp joint? are they cheap?

if there is room for a connection block and i go down that road, do i need to worry about the amp rating of the connection block.

i will definately get a socket tester and test the socket. I'll do all the sockets in the house while I'm at it.

Preferably you'll need a proper wratchet crimping tool, they're about £20 so your prob going to go down the connector block route ;) , 15amp connector block will do the job.

seems silly spending £20 for a tool i'll use once. connector block it is. thanks.

Earth (ie cpc) conductors must go to the socket first and flying lead to back box. Back box earth terminals are not the most reliable and (because you are using metal fittings) it is vital that you protective earth connection is a good one to the accessory.

TTC

PS always remember to earth metal fittings. You cant go wrong with a socket but light switches must be earthed to the terminal provided on the switch fitting

BigJon said:
Yes you can do either, though crimping of the cable is preferred. The Main thing is earth continuity. If you can as an added extra, get a martindale/plug tester to ensure your earth is there ;)

I had to troubleshoot a job where several engineers had visited and told the customer her earth was fine.

Then a DNO guy had called and complained it was sky-high.

I used my meter to check the Zs at a socket outlet - 85.7 Ohms.

The reason? Everyone who said the earth was "OK" had used a martindale plug-in tester which did indeed show all three neons lit.

So, moral of the story. DON'T trust a Martindale to tell you the earth connection is sound!!

securespark said:
So, moral of the story. DON'T trust a Martindale to tell you the earth connection is sound!!
moral of the story is knowing if the earth is sound requires a measure of efli AND an understanding of the installation design (for example on a TT with main RCD that figure would be fine).

so any socket tester that doesn't give an EFLI reading is no use.

Anyone remember when the Martindales used to say ring main tester on them! :eek: They are still misleading as they say socket tester on them :mad:

securespark said:
I used my meter to check the Zs at a socket outlet - 85.7 Ohms.

erm... what does that mean?! :confused:
is there more to earthing than just getting continuity of earth around the circuit?

what exactly do these soctet testers do then and is it worth bothering with them? surely a basic test is better than no test.

I only want to put a metal socket on!

I only want to put a metal socket on!

LOL bet you didnt take in to account how difficult it was :LOL:
Just join them in connector, then loop to socket then back box, If the connection is sound you'll be fine.
You dont need to worry about Zs as your not installing, altering or testing new circuits, At the end of the day your only changing 1 socket :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back