Help needed to recover painting blunder!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, this is my first post here so aloha lol. I made the mistake of painting door frames, skirting and a bare piece of wood with matt emulsion having done no preparation. I know realise this was a mistake, i have a horrible powdery finish to the skirting and door frames, with regards to the bare piece of wood i realise i also did this all wrong, it still looks like a bare piece of wood but with white paint on it, so what do i do next, how do i recover these mistakes...............

Sponsored Links
you have to polish with fine grade sandpaper, wipe it of with damp cloth, paint with water based primer/undercoat (you can get this 2in1 e.g. dulux), leave for 16h, go over again with sandpaper (grade 180- gently touch) and paint with your preferred finish paint ( eggshell, satin wood, gloss etc.) re-coating might be required (depend if this will be oil or water based paint)
Salute
MINDEX

Not sure why you have a powdery finish?

Although I would not recommend using emulsion as a base coat it is not the end of the world.

Emulsion is not massively different to waterbased primer/uc. One potential issue is the fact that it is not designed to be sandable, to that end, I'd second the suggestion that you use 180grit paper to flatten it, I'd go further and suggest that you use silicon carbide paper as it will clog less than standard aluminum oxide paper.

IMO you will be able to "get away" without the need to apply any further UC, applying two oil based top coats of eggshell. If however you intend to use gloss then i agree that you should use UC.

In the past I have seen DIYers apply oil based eggshell over bare wood, after phoning Dulux support, they were told to just proceed with more coats of eggshell.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Not the end of the world. It does tend to raise the grain. Sand with 120 sand paper. Apply oil based undercoat and oil based top coat job done, don't sweat it. :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back