Painting exterior wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am renovating an old T&G outhouse door and replacing the door frame. I have stripped the door back to bare wood. The frame will need to be replaced and I plan to use standard softwood and paint the end grain with preserver. The requirement is a white frame and coloured door with a matt finish. What is the best paint to use and how best to approach it?

Cuprinol Shades seems to suggest I can painted on to bare wood, is that right? Even on new, planed timber and a stripped door? It doesn't feel right! Or is Cuprinol Shades really for rough sawn timber?

I want this paint job to last so I want to ensure I get it right and assumed a primer/ undercoat/ top coat would be required, but some of the coloured paints appear to be designed to go onto bare wood. I also assumed that oil-based would be better, but research suggests that water-based is now the way to go for external painting.

This seems like a simple question but I am struggling to find the correct approach.

Thanks in advance,
Darren

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Several ways.

For water-based, Sadolin make coloured 'opaque' gloss and satin in (limited) various colours. This seems to last well and resists cracking if prep is done well.

A more traditional method is oil-based. Aluminium wood primer, oil-based undercoat and topcoat.

Oil-based won't give you so many brush marks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back