Oops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm new to this so please bare with me! I got a new external door (Hardwood) fitted and the joiner suggested that I paint it asap.
However I mistakingly painted the bare wood with undercoat instead of primer.
Can some of you experts please tell me what are the ramifications of this, will the paint peel or the door swell, or as I hope, will it be ok.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Malteeser (brown on the outside, blonde on the inside

Sponsored Links
First the usual disclaimer - I am not a painter, decorator or professional. I am a DIYer of reasonable ability.

You need to paint the door quickly to stop it swelling and warping; and while I’m on the subject I must say how important it is to seal the whole door, including the top and bottom.

The ramification of applying undercoat and not primer as the first coat will not become clear for a while. The likely outcome will be chipping, flaking and peeling.

As to what to do, I’m afraid I can’t help there. Hopefully a professional will be along to offer advice, but I suspect stripping/ sanding it off may be the only thing to do.

You may be lucky malteaser but I dont hold a lot of hope for you..if it had been a sofywood door you might have got away with it adhesion wise..but hardwood has a tighter grain and it the undercoat was thick it willjust sit on the surface instead of mirscopically locking onto it.

The other problem is bleeding and staining...hardwood is highly resinous and the resin may end up bleeding through the top colour, leaave nasty brown stains

Personally I would strip it off and give the door a coat of aluminium hardwood primer first, not forgetting the tops and bottoms..then rub it down, unercoat, then two gloss of gloss

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back