HELP NEEDED - WALL LIGHTS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP PLEASE!

I've been replacing the old wall lights in my living room with some new ones.

Firstly, I've done a bit of a schoolboy error by not drawing the old wiring setup when taking off the old lights. Admittedly I'm not very experienced with electrics so should have done so.

Basically I have four wall lights - which I have drawn here - http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/4446/lighting1ax.jpg

Two light switchs operate them and they work in two pairs. Switch 1 operates light A and B. Switch 2 operates C and D.

I've replaced lights A and B with the wiring setup as shown and now only light B works properly, with light A working but is very very dim.

Lights C and D are as they were as I have not replaced them yet until I get A and B working. Lights C and D are currently working fine.

I've tried mimiking the wiring setup that C and D has with A and B but when I try that, only light A works.

I must be doing something wrong and was wondering if someone can help... please!

Sponsored Links
nice drawing (seriously)

form what you have said and the pic it looks like lamp a is across the 2 nuetrals.

but the one thing that is mssing from your drawing is the supply, where is it fed from? as it looks like the live loops in and out, this would be fine for a ceiling rose, but if its fed from a fcu then there is no live to the lamp which is why its dim

Thanks Breezer.

I don;t actually know the answers to your questions. How would I find this out?

They were working fine before I fitted new lamps so I think I've just got the wires the wrong way around.

where are the lights fed from?

you will also be better of with a multi meter to identify each cable

Sponsored Links
Also, just in case this throws more light on the problem (no pun intended) I've tried lamp A with the two black wires the other way round. The result was that lamp B was dim and A bright.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They are just fed from the mains ( if thats what you mean :S )

please note 10a

i think i knows whats happened... it looks like the feed in is the switched (from FCU maybe?). in which case wire them as in wall lights C&D. connect both reds together and both black together in light A and put the light accross red and black. if this doesnt solve it, then there is a cable missing (feed in, switch, feed to light B)

Hi Andrew,

I've tried using the same setup in lamp A as lamp C (which I think is what you are suggesting.

All that happens when I try this is that lamp B does not work at all.

j0hnryder said:
Hi Andrew,

I've tried using the same setup in lamp A as lamp C (which I think is what you are suggesting.

All that happens when I try this is that lamp B does not work at all.

K. little more info reqd. where is it fed from FCU? do you switch them at the FCU or does it go to a normal switch from FCU then to the lights?

whatever is before the lights, can you explain how its wired (switch etc)

andrew2022 said:
little more info reqd. where is it fed from FCU? do you switch them at the FCU or does it go to a normal switch from FCU then to the lights?

sorry i had to go out, back now. he doesnt know, i asked that q, earlier

breezer said:
andrew2022 said:
little more info reqd. where is it fed from FCU? do you switch them at the FCU or does it go to a normal switch from FCU then to the lights?

sorry i had to go out, back now. he doesnt know, i asked that q, earlier

i know you asked, but it would make it a lot easier to work out how its been wired if we knew that

tell me about it.

i have no offence to poster, but without the correct relevant information there is not a lot we can do :cry:

breezer said:
tell me about it.

i have no offence to poster, but without the correct relevant information there is not a lot we can do :cry:
at least he took the time to make a good, detailed drawing of whats at the wall lights

he did, i really do like the drawing, pity it doesnt mention where the supply comes from

Sorry guys, but if there is one thing I'm not good at its electrics. How would I find out what is required?

Do I need to identify whether one fuse operates these four lights in my living room.

Would it also be helpful if I mentioned that these four wall lights are the only lights in that room. There is no ceiling light.

Disclaimer - I've not tried to relate the various on/off/dim scenarios to the drawing.

But my immediate reaction is that the combination of your ignorance of electrics and your undoubted lack of a multimeter to check voltages and establish continuity means that calling an electrician is going to be the only realistic way to get this sorted...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back