Bedside light wiring

(I will be using a 3G light switch by the door to operate other lights in the room, only one switch would be available as an M)
Ah, that is different to how I read your original post and would just result in three normal two-way circuits.

I also want a master switch on entry to the room, to turn both lights on or off (2 way)
I took that to mean one switch to do both A & B.

Sponsored Links
Agreed on the 2M solution, having 1 M that switched A and B on or off independently of switch A or switch B position started hurting my head..maybe should have sketched it first :)

So, how many switches will there be in each position and what lights will they be operating?

I have a relay and retractive switch set-up in one of my kid's bedrooms, but it is literally clunky.

If you can do it by using standard switches and conventional wiring, so much the better.

I found I could not get a 3 gang intermediate switch, so used a 3 gang two way switch at door and two 2 gang intermediate switches one side of bed, and 2 gang two way other side of bed, so bed head lights worked at door and side fitted, and centre main light any of the three switches, the bed had to be positioned to suit switches and lamps as there was a flue brick and the lights and switches had to go either side.

Then I moved, and now I have a smart switch and remote at bed side, just not worth the hassle wiring up.

Sponsored Links
I found I could not get a 3 gang intermediate switch, so used a 3 gang two way switch at door and two 2 gang intermediate switches one side of bed, and 2 gang two way other side of bed, so bed head lights worked at door and side fitted, and centre main light any of the three switches,
We have exactly the same and it works really well. The only thing I'd do differently is we hardly use the main light and certainly not from bed, so i wouldn't bother with that another time. Maybe a floor level night light instead on the second switch.

That's what I have:

3 x 13A sockets slightly above the skirt around the room switched from 3 positions; the doorway and either side of the bed.

Here is one of our bedside switches, incorporating a USB charger for phones etc ..

16257651416424310204748171256787.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back