Bedside light switch wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me with the wiring in my bedroom.

We would like to add a two gang two way light switch either side of the bed. One of the switches on either switch to turn the ceiling light on/off & the other switches to turn the wall light above bed on/off.

I have attached a diagram. Hope it makes some sense?

Thanks
IMG_5564_zpsic1tw4ox.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's unlikely you will be able to take the supply from a switch as there probably won't be a neutral.
You will need to take the supply from the ceiling light or a socket.

upload_2016-11-29_18-19-31.png

Sponsored Links
So you have the switch cable in place and live and neutral feed??

So what is your problem then?
Two way switching with an intermediate switch, simples!

So you have the switch cable in place and live and neutral feed??

So what is your problem then?
Two way switching with an intermediate switch, simples!

I just want to make sure the wiring is correct for what im trying to achieve

I guess ther intermediate would be the main ceiling switch as its one gang & the others are two?

There is a supply at each switch.

Really? OK. You don't need all of them.

Consider the two lights separately. For the ceiling light:

2-way switch at left bedside -> 3-core cable -> intermediate switch at right bedside -> 3-core cable -> 2-way switch at door.
Connect the supply and the cable to the ceiling light at the door switch.

For the wall light:

2-way switch at right bedside -> 3-core cable -> 2-way switch at left bedside.
Connect the supply and the cable to the wall light at the left bedside.

This site's wiki has diagrams showing more detail for the 2-way and intermediate switch connections.

As I've described it above, you'll need a switch at the right bedside with one 2-way and one intermediate. That might not be easy to find, except using a "grid" or modular system of some sort. 2-gang intermediate switches are available, though a bit rare, so you can use an intermediate switch as a 2-way switch by ignoring one of the terminals.

Someone above suggested that the intermediate switch could be at the door, but I can't see how to do that with your wiring.

Edit: it seems there are switches with one intermediate and one 2-way:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLXDQ71S.html

Really? OK. You don't need all of them.

Consider the two lights separately. For the ceiling light:

2-way switch at left bedside -> 3-core cable -> intermediate switch at right bedside -> 3-core cable -> 2-way switch at door.
Connect the supply and the cable to the ceiling light at the door switch.

For the wall light:

2-way switch at right bedside -> 3-core cable -> 2-way switch at left bedside.
Connect the supply and the cable to the wall light at the left bedside.

This site's wiki has diagrams showing more detail for the 2-way and intermediate switch connections.

As I've described it above, you'll need a switch at the right bedside with one 2-way and one intermediate. That might not be easy to find, except using a "grid" or modular system of some sort. 2-gang intermediate switches are available, though a bit rare, so you can use an intermediate switch as a 2-way switch by ignoring one of the terminals.

Someone above suggested that the intermediate switch could be at the door, but I can't see how to do that with your wiring.

Edit: it seems there are switches with one intermediate and one 2-way:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLXDQ71S.html

Many thanks. Very helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back