HELP NEEDED - WALL LIGHTS

j0hnryder said:
Sorry but I've double checked it and checked it again. The diagram is right.

I'll have to wait and see if one of my friends who is an electrician to take a look at them.

Thanks though.

once you do get i sorted, let us know what it was (its confusing me)

Sponsored Links
j0hnryder said:
:oops: I HAVE missed something off the diagram. There is another red and black wire...

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1476/switch1ms.jpg[/QUOTE]

well maybe now we can help, now that you have give us all the info.

looking at the switch, there is the feed in, which is then switch to 2 output - lights A&B and lights C&D. so, going by that, and previous diagram of wall lights, you should have red to red and black to black at A, and have the light connected accross this (same as it is wred for C&D). if this doesnt work, then there is something your not telling us (maybe you havent realised it)

altho you said you have already done this?

do you have a multimeter? yes - good. measue voltages accross where the lights is connected, and what the voltage is 'dim'

dont have 1? go buy 1, or call a spark

also, have you missed an earth from the drawing, or is there not 1 missing at the light switch?

When first installing the new lamps, my first reaction for lamp A was to simply replicate the setup on lamp C. This did not work however. Lamp A worked but B did not.

I have a friend that is an electrician. He's on holiday at the moment but I'll ask him to take a look when he gets back.

I'll let you know what he says and does.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
j0hnryder said:
When first installing the new lamps, my first reaction for lamp A was to simply replicate the setup on lamp C. This did not work however. Lamp A worked but B did not.

I have a friend that is an electrician. He's on holiday at the moment but I'll ask him to take a look when he gets back.

I'll let you know what he says and does.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

it doesnt make sense. lights C&D look correct. A&B, if wired like C&D should work. the way A&B are wired now (from first diagram in your first post), both lights are in series, so both need to be in for it to work, and theyll both be dim

j0hnryder said:
I'm not very experienced with electrics
j0hnryder said:
if there is one thing I'm not good at its electrics
j0hnryder said:
This is a diagram of the switch
j0hnryder said:
The switch setup diagram is not wrong. 100% correct. Its a simple thing to draw
j0hnryder said:
Sorry but I've double checked it and checked it again. The diagram is right
j0hnryder said:
:oops: I HAVE missed something off the diagram. There is another red and black wire

j0hnryder said:
I think that would be the best plan.

Ban All Sheds - Or should I call you Mr V. Meldrew. I did not ask YOU personally to offer any advice (if you call it that), so why carry on in such an insulting, sarcastic, self righteous manner.

One of the functions of this forum is for users to gain access to others who may be more experienced or knowledgable in specific areas of expertise. And thats exactley what I have done.

However, your comments were ignored for the most part because they were largely unconstructive.

You suggested that I was ignorant in one of your earlier posts. Ignorance would have been getting an electrician in without even investigating the problem myself.

Lastly, I can almost guarantee you have NO friends.

Thanks go to those who constructively contributed to this thread.

j0hnryder said:
Ban All Sheds - Or should I call you Mr V. Meldrew. I did not ask YOU personally to offer any advice (if you call it that), so why carry on in such an insulting, sarcastic, self righteous manner.
You came here asking for advice and repeatedly refused to listen to it. I was not rude, sarcastic or self-righteous - I merely summarised your intransigence and agreed with your decision (which you had already stated twice) to get an electrician in. If quoting your posts and agreeing with your decisions is insulting, sarcastic or self-righteous, I'd hate to see how you react to someone who argues with you.

One of the functions of this forum is for users to gain access to others who may be more experienced or knowledgable in specific areas of expertise. And thats exactley what I have done.

j0hnryder said:
This is a diagram of the switch
Followed by 7 posts from people who are more experienced and knowledgeable than you questioning the accuracy of your drawing. How did you respond to this advice?

j0hnryder said:
The switch setup diagram is not wrong. 100% correct. Its a simple thing to draw
Another post telling you that it was impossible for a switch wired as you had drawn it to work in the way you said it did, and again telling you you'd missed a wire off. Did you listen that time?

j0hnryder said:
Sorry but I've double checked it and checked it again. The diagram is right
A post from me showing the switch internals, hoping that by seeing what a switch wired as you had drawn would do (and not do), you would finally accept that what everybody had been telling you was true.

j0hnryder said:
:oops: I HAVE missed something off the diagram. There is another red and black wire
There is little point in you gaining access to others who may be more experienced or knowledgable in specific areas of expertise if you refuse to accept what they are telling you.

However, your comments were ignored for the most part because they were largely unconstructive.
My first post, having seen the back and forth between one person who didn't know what he was doing, and others who were struggling because of incomplete information was to raise a warning flag, to all concerned, that we might all get nowhere.

My second was to ask you to provide very important detail on how it was all wired up. In what way was that not constructive?

My third was to add my voice to those telling you that your diagram had to be wrong. As you now admit, it was wrong all along, and there was no point in any of us carrying on until you had accepted that, and provided the right information.

My 4th was to Andrew to point out that you were far more likely to have got the diagram wrong than the description of how you used to be able to turn your lights on and off, so he should stop wondering how it might be right. In terms of overall efficiency and moving towards a solution, it was constructive.

My 5th was the one with the diagram which showed exactly where current would flow if it were wired as you say, and an invitation for you to look at it and work out for yourself that it couldn't be correct. In what way was that not constructive?

You suggested that I was ignorant in one of your earlier posts. Ignorance would have been getting an electrician in without even investigating the problem myself.

Ignorance. n. lack of knowledge (of thing)

Ignorant a. lacking knowledge, uninformed (of or in subject, of fact)

j0hnryder said:
I'm not very experienced with electrics
j0hnryder said:
if there is one thing I'm not good at its electrics

Lastly, I can almost guarantee you have NO friends.
Then you'd be almost completely wrong, but what does that have to do with this topic?

Never mind Ban, many of us in this forum would be the poorer without your 'Very' constructive comments.

We can all make mistakes as the tortoise said climbing off the helmet!

What a right puff you are Ban all sheds! How pathetic are you? It's only a forum for cryin' out loud! i'm agreeing with j0hnryder; it looks to me that you seem to spend your life on these forums, and indeed, certainly putting accross the fact that you probably don't have any friends (real life, that is!).

Looking at some of your prev. posts, you have been more than helpful, but the way you word such phrases and draw strange diagrams (to the average sparks that is), leads me to believe that you're not a sparks, by trade I mean. Would I be right? No doubt you probably sit at home on your pc quoting regs out a text book!!

Are you one of those annoying diyer's that thinks they know it all, not saying that you don't know most things, but someone that takes everything out of a text book for gospel??? In the real world... It ain't like that!!

I had to join especially just to post this... I'm nearly as bad as you, Ban-all-sheds. (they are handy when you need the odd thing.)

I am the daddy said:
What a right puff you are Ban all sheds! How pathetic are you? It's only a forum for cryin' out loud! i'm agreeing with j0hnryder; it looks to me that you seem to spend your life on these forums, and indeed, certainly putting accross the fact that you probably don't have any friends (real life, that is!).

Looking at some of your prev. posts, you have been more than helpful, but the way you word such phrases and draw strange diagrams (to the average sparks that is), leads me to believe that you're not a sparks, by trade I mean. Would I be right? No doubt you probably sit at home on your pc quoting regs out a text book!!

Are you one of those annoying diyer's that thinks they know it all, not saying that you don't know most things, but someone that takes everything out of a text book for gospel??? In the real world... It ain't like that!!

I had to join especially just to post this... I'm nearly as bad as you, Ban-all-sheds. (they are handy when you need the odd thing.)

we cannot help people if they dont give us all the info. he give us info whatg he thought was enough, but that alone wasnt much help. we then asked him for the switch wiring, to help us work out how it is wired. he didm but done it wrong. so, we thing he has it wired a weird way. and how are we susposed to give info from incorrect info.

if we had seen the job, and were able to do whatever tests/fault finding, we could have had it sorted in 5 mins

I know, not having a go at you, andrew. It's the way ban worded it. I found him offensive, whereas you were alot nicer about it! And of course, Ban did some up (quite well) the typical customers story. Had any work done recently?... No, are you sure... Positive.... 100%?...... Yes, find fault 1/2 day later where maybe a new carpenters nail had punctured a cable.

Anyways, Just wonded weather Ban was DIY or electrician??

I am the daddy said:
Anyways, Just wonded weather Ban was DIY or electrician??

Ban is DIY, but he does seem one of the rare breed of DIY'ers who actually know what they are doing, not that I'm taking sides here, but I do beleive ban does have all the correct tools and knowledge needed to do domestic electrics safely.

my2p worth

I am the daddy, you come onto this forum, you start ranting and raving and why call some one a puff?
I am the daddy said:
a right puff you are

You have to consider that after a while of people posting on here that " xyz was this way, (insert diagram) i have put it back and now it doesnt work, please help" you know strait away it could never have worked, but they are adament that it did, and the "expert" is not right

you try to tell them but, no, they do not listen, or no matter how many times you ask, they do not give all the information at the time.

So, the only option this then leaves is to use thier own words against them, as ban-all-sheds did.

I am sorry you do not agree, but why not become a regular, and see how long before you get fed up trying to help those who will not listen, or as some do, they expect us to know how their xyz is wired, or they expect to be able to carry out tasks without the proper tools.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back