Help needed wanting to install same smart light switch's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is the wrong section new to the form.

So id like to have some smart light switch's installed. A 3 gang to control a pouch light a downstairs hallway and a upstairs landing light plus a 1 gang to also control the landing light.
So i unscrewed the 3 gang switch just to see if i have a neutral as most uk homes dont have a neutral as i dont i went and ordered these two switch. Thinking it would be a straight swap im a little lost on whats what? Now iv figured out which ones are the porch and hallway light but lost on what the blue with red sleeving is yellow with red sleeving and the red as this would be for the upstairs landing.
IMG_2243(1).jpg
IMG_2242.JPG
IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

Now looking at the light switch upstairs it appears i have a neutral but not 100% sure if it is then why are blue and red in L2

IMG_2248.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

Sponsored Links
There aren't any neutrals at those switches. The blue /yellow / reds are all live conductors / Strappers for the two way switching.

You know what iv been banging my head to figure out whats what but now realised they are more likely 1 ways. (Doh) Now trying to find a 3 gang 2 way and 1 gang 2 way that dont need a neutral :mad: :confused::confused:

No neutrals there.
If using those switches, it's essential that all of the lights are on the same circuit.
If there are separate circuits for up / down, then you can't use those switches even if they don't require a neutral.
Also unclear how the 2 way switching will work with those one way devices.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I realise now that they are one way and that it’s hard to find any 2 way switch’s. It also makes sense that they would need be on a same lighting circuit.
So my question now is how would anyone control a upstairs landing light on 2 different light circuits using 2 2-way smart switch’s?? I’m pretty sure iv seen some that sync together. I’ll have a look at them lightwave brands.

What are the smart switches going to do that you can't do now (with the cheap, safe, reliable switches currently installed)?

Turn off automatically on a timer to stop kids leaving the lights on all night but then not the best idea near stairs... I’ll scrap that idea and just stick to having a smart light just in the living.

And looking at a amazon review lighwave are not 2 way.

Not very "smart" switches then....:cry:

But, I guess you want to control your lights with something other than your finger? (Smartphone, Alexa, etc)
The option might be to provide a WI-FI controlled device at the lights, rather than by adding intelligence at the switch.

Have a look at the Quinetic range

Indeed.
But thinking about it more now not really an idea near stairs when the lights go off say 60 minutes after being on.

I’ll just stick with having a smart switch in the living room and maybe kitchen.

Turn off automatically on a timer to stop kids leaving the lights on all night

How about discipline? I was never allowed to leave lights on!

Having said that the cost of leaving modern LEDs on is very low and I doubt whether the cost of smart switches would recoup itself.

Danny B - What you have is not going to work as you don't have a neutral

Choices
a) Get Smart bulbs and don't touch the switches ever again
b) LightwaveRF - You would need to buy master and slave set up - the link between them in a 5-volt connection (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lightwave-...=lightwave+master+slave&qid=1575910859&sr=8-2)
Problems - Lightwave let through a little bit of electricity to power themselves (they are on a very little bit all of the time) - if you get the wrong bulbs eg LED ones that require very little power they mat flash

For this country, smart lights are a bit of a nightmare

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back