Help needed with installing bathroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have bought a new light for my bathroom but having taken the old light off the ceiling and disconnect all the wires I now have four cables (2 wires per cable) coming out of the ceiling and only 2 ports in the new light to put wires in to.

By disconnecting the bathroom light, it's also knocked out the rest of the living room lights so it must be on a circuit. I can only presume that one set comes from the circuit, another from the bathroom light switch and another from the ventilation fan which is activated by turning the light swtich on.

How do I connect all the wires up to just two ports on the new light? And could you explain this in lamen terms as I haven't a clue about these kind of things.

I have attached a photo also if this helps.

Attachments

• 20200127_154731.jpg
    20200127_154731.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 294
Sponsored Links
You probably can't make all the connections within your new light fitting ,unless there is a lot of space . Can you post pics of the new fitting ? Probably a better idea ,would be to make all the connections in a junction box ,and from there take one cable to the new fitting.
What s above the ceiling ,loft space that you have Access to ?

I Can't access above the ceiling as I am in a ground floor flat. I've attached a pic anyway of the new light fitting but not sure where I would put a junction box? Certainly don't want a light and a junction box next to it on the ceiling if I can help it

Attachments

• 20200206_185248.jpg
    20200206_185248.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 290
I assume you have an extractor fan.

upload_2020-2-6_18-59-33.png

This is my assumption.

The circles represent your L&N terminals in your new fitting. The 'live joint' will be normally labelled 'loop' if it's included in the fitting, if not use a connector block or Wago.

Earth wires connected to the fittings E or earth terminal or if double insulated to another connector block or Wago.

It is possible the red and yellow in the 3 core are transposed.

Good luck getting that lot in the average modern fitting, Terry has it about right.

Sponsored Links
I Can't access above the ceiling as I am in a ground floor flat. I've attached a pic anyway of the new light fitting but not sure where I would put a junction box? Certainly don't want a light and a junction box next to it on the ceiling if I can help it
Fit a bigger piece of connector block and call it loop:
upload_2020-2-6_19-17-2.png

You will not need the third screw.

I assume you have an extractor fan.

View attachment 183056
This is my assumption.

The circles represent your L&N terminals in your new fitting. The 'live joint' will be normally labelled 'loop' if it's included in the fitting, if not use a connector block or Wago.

Earth wires connected to the fittings E or earth terminal or if double insulated to another connector block or Wago.

It is possible the red and yellow in the 3 core are transposed.

Good luck getting that lot in the average modern fitting, Terry has it about right.
There looks to be a fair bit of space within the light fittings enclosure ,you MAY be able to do it. The base plate of your fitting ( pic please ) will have to be able to accommodate all 4 grey insulated cables and their conductors. And I doubt the small 3 terminal strip of the fitting is physically big enough for all the conductors that need to go into it. A larger 4 terminal strip would do it.

upload_2020-2-6_19-25-35.png

I will likely be possible to get 2 red wires in each side to make it easier.

Last edited:
So where is the photo you took of the connections BEFORE you removed the old fitting?

I’m sure you took one as there are so many threads similar to yours on here.

That Robus fitting looks like a bulkhead fitting where there is a plastic base into which the gear tray sits, with an opal or prismatic diffuser over. Isn't there plenty of room underneath the gear tray to place the cables/ connectors?
There must be other parts to the light fitting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back