help needed with nylon gland and external JB...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps, wondering if anybody can shed some light as i'm a bit confused...
I have a 20mm nylon gland (for 4mm - 7mm cable) with lock nut:
EK252B.JPG

Along with one of these:
LB9025A.JPG

Im planning to run 1.0mm (3 core ruuber flex - black) cable out of this JB, now common sense tells me that with the above, i will not succeed. Do I need a shroud to enable a secure exit of the cable from the JB?

Anyone have a pic on how these glands are connected to a JB?
Mr RF Lighting??? ;)

CHEERS

Sponsored Links
I don't see the issue here. You need to remove one of the 20mm knockouts from the box (giving it a light tap with a flat screwdriver and a hammer usually does the trick) and then secure the threaded end of the gland into the hole using the locknot. Run the cable through the gland and tighten. Simple!

If you're referring to the fact the cable is 1mm and the gland is designed to accept 4mm upwards, the two figures are referring to different things. 1mm is the size of the conductors inside the cable, 4mm is the OD (outer diameter) of the cable. The gland you have should be just fine.

A dome top gland is FAR better for cord restraignt and outdoor use.

The box you show doesn't have knockouts, it has neoprene holes which you pierce for the cable - I would never be happy with using that outdoors.

Get yourself the box identical to the one you have, but with 20mm knockouts (which are better drilled TBH).

Failing that, a 4x4x2 gewiss or similar box - plain sides, drill a 20mm hole where you want with holesaw.

Ditch those TRS glands, and get dome top.

As long as you have back nuts for the gland you are ok. Sometimes they are sold seperately

Sponsored Links
I always tighten the gland on the cable before fitting the gland to the back box with a locknut.
It also means I can give the cable a quick inspection and tug to make sure the seal is firm.

Always best to enter from under the box so that water doesn't run down the cable and gland, a shroud make the job look tidy and prevents the gland from getting dirt and grime on it. Easying future service work (like trying to undo the gland in a few years time).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back