Help needed with pressure valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have vaillant turbo max boiler which is leaking water to the pipe that goes through the back of the boiler to the outside of the house. I know it is the pressure relief valve that needs to be changed. I am unsure of the model number. Inside the boiler, it says turbo max GB 242/2-5 R2 and it also says combi turbo max plus 824E. Which is it?

Also, is it easy to change the valve? Are there any instructions I could follow. I asked an engineer on the phone, who I found on yell.com, and he said the valve is £189 plus £70 to install it. He said the boiler needs to be drained of all the water. is this true? I thought he was very expensive.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No is it hell £189 it's about £30 to buy, but yes you do need to drain down the central heating system to fit it.

It's just a case of draining, undoing 2 compression nuts, remove and replace PRV, tighten nuts up, refill, and test.

Whilst you have system drained down it is worth checking the pressure in the expansion vessel as it may need charging.

No is it hell £189 it's about £30 to buy, but yes you do need to drain down the central heating system to fit it.

It's just a case of draining, undoing 2 compression nuts, remove and replace PRV, tighten nuts up, refill, and test.

Whilst you have system drained down it is worth checking the pressure in the expansion vessel as it may need charging.

Thanks for the reply, how would I drain the boiler?

Sponsored Links
Have never had to replace one to be honest they are pretty robust compared to some other makes, more likely that your expansion vesell needs recharging and you dont need to drain the system if you do decide to change the PRV you only need to drain the boiler itself

I know it is the pressure relief valve that needs to be changed.

Are you absolutely sure? Others things can cause drips on the pipe outside.

That is what I have been told, what other things may cause the water to drip outside? The water drips outside even when we are not using the heating system.

Have never had to replace one to be honest they are pretty robust compared to some other makes, more likely that your expansion vesell needs recharging and you dont need to drain the system if you do decide to change the PRV you only need to drain the boiler itself

What do you mean by expansion vessel needing recharging? How would I do this?

I know that Vaillant parts are expensive, just bought a filling valve and about £70.

Thanks for the help so far. I have discovered another issue which I did not notice before. The pressure gauge is on number 1. When I put the heating on, after about 10 mins, I checked the pressure gauge and it was over 3. There was lots of water coming out of the pipe that goes outside the house. I drained some water from heaters and the pressure gauge came down to 1.5. The next time I put the heaters on, the pressure gauge again went over 3. Again water was coming out of the pipe. What does this suggest the problem is the with the boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back