vaillant turbo max 242e - No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All I have a vaillant turbo max 242 \282
but there's not hot water.

When I switch turn on the tap it lites up but then the ignition light flashes with no hot water.

I was told that it's been leaking slighly and the water pressure is at 0.

Had the same problem about a year ago and the plumber changed a small rubber piece(may be a diaphram washer) and charged me £150.

I've heard the diverter valve is a common problem could it be that ?, or is it this washer again.

BG want £200 to fix any boiler is it worth it, don't want to pay that if it's only a minor problem.

BTW i'm in London.

Sponsored Links
before you get anyone in to fix it re-pressurise the boiler/system to 1.2 bar cold then see if it works. A diaphragm should last around 3 years.

thanks stupid question but how do I do that ?, persume I will need a hose pipe.

i'm reasonabily DIY competent just not when it comes to boiler.

Also the tenents said there was water below the boiler so I persume that may have something to do with it..(Do I not need to get that sorted.)

Sponsored Links
look at the pipework nr the boiler there should be chrome fittings with a loop in between (usually chrome) on them fittings there will be tap or taps open one or both and the water shall flow into the boiler. take note of the pressure gage as it goes up stop at around 1 bar. if its the turbo max with the green buttons on i bet its the de aerator on the pump or the diverter valve leaking..

if its the old type it may be the packing gland leaking on the water valve in the middle of the boiler

I'm having a bit of a senior moment :eek: Does the Turbo max not have a built in filling loop :confused:

gas4you said:
I'm having a bit of a senior moment :eek: Does the Turbo max not have a built in filling loop :confused:

the new ones do but im used to working on the older versions with a black drop down front and green buttons... sorry for the confusion :LOL:

tnks for the replies guys,

so do you recommend refilling the system first.

Even though it may have a leak.

also do you guys think it needs a new diverter valve as suggested by a plummer I phoned.

biggiebig said:
also do you guys think it needs a new diverter valve as suggested by a plummer I phoned.

If he is diagnosing over the 'phone then get someone in who will have a look and inspect and diagnose on site :eek:

Yes pressurise first. Without this you will not have a clue as to whats going on with the boiler :rolleyes:

Your first posting said the boiler fired up when a hot tap was turned on!

If that is the case then the diverter would seem to be working OK.

Obviously ( to most anyway ) the boiler has to have the correct operating pressure of about 1.5 bar.

If water is leaking then that needs to be fixed.

As you have tenants you must by law have a Gas Safety Certificate!

Always better to call a boiler engineer rather than a plumber!

Tony Glazier

repressured the boiler and it's working now.

Tenent said it was leaking from the bottom of the boiler (near the water pump area) fired it up and I couldn't located any leaks.

So i've placed a bowl under it and told them to watch out for water a leak.

if it was my system id have it all drained and new scale rust inhibitor and water put in sytem before i run it

suffolklad said:
if it was my system id have it all drained and new scale rust inhibitor and water put in sytem before i run it

Yes quite correct but the leak needs to be sorted first otherwise it will cost a fortune in wasted inhibitor :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back