Help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a council owned property in West Cumbria. I have several issues with the house and garden that i'm trying to get the council to sort, but they don't seem to want to help. The biggest problem is damp.

It's a semi-detached house, built from reinforced concrete. The end wall seems to be absorbing moisture, in that the kitchen cupboards on that wall have that horrible damp, musty smell, which will not go away, even when cleaned with bleach. There is black mould growing on the wall in the cupboard that used to be a coalstore (next to the kitchen). The Master bedroom is also affected. There is black mould growing at the base of the wall, the wallpaper is bubbling, and starting to peel. There is black mould growing on the window frame (which isn't on the same wall), even though we have the vents open all the time, and have the window open as much as possible. The bathroom is just as bad. We have a brand new extractor fan that the council fitted, that adjusts itself according to the level of moisture in the room. Normally it speeds up when the shower is in use, although in the last couple of days, it has stayed at almost full speed constantly - even with the window left open. The loft is also damp. We have been told that the roof is due to be replaced, although we were told this nearly a year ago. Oh, the kitchen and the bathroom have "vents" in the wall (namely, a big hole with a plaster vent screen).
In a couple of places on the exterior, the render has been patched, and sounds hollow when tapped. This is low level, about where the kitchen cupboards are. I think that's about it.

We have called the council out several times about this problem. They fitted new extractors in the kitchen and bathroom, and also fitted an Enviro-vent upstairs "to draw clean air from the loft and circulate it through the house. That will get rid of the mould upstairs". Wrong. It draws cold, damp air from the loft, and makes the whole house smell. We have even been told that "it's because of the gable end, and there is nothing that can be done". So why do our neighbours not have the problem? One representative even came out and stated that he couldn't find a problem at all! Not even a smell of damp. This despite not being able to use one of the cupboards because of the smell!

Both myself and my wife suffer from Asthma, which has deteriorated since we moved here. We have lived in the house for 10 months, and the problem has got worse and worse, yet the council (Home Housing) refuse to do anything about it. Is there anything that I can do? I'm fed up of making telephone calls and sending emails for nothing to be done.

I'd appreciate any advice that can be offered.

Sponsored Links
You seem to have a classic condensation problem. Basically, there is no structural dampness for the landlord to fix (ie no defects to repair) and it is your use of the property which is the cause of condensation. That is one of the reasons why the neighbours may not have a problem

I've never known a properly fitted Envirovent not to work. If there is condensation in the loft too then that may need looking at, but otherwise it should deal with the problem.

The council are not obligated to do anything for condensation issues. Yours seem to be trying to help, but it may be that they are just doing standard things without properly surveying and understanding what the best course of action may be. But yes, ultimately they may say "that's it" and not bother to help further

You really need to address why all this condensation is being produced though.

You could take legal action under Statutory Nuisance legislation to get the issue fixed, or under Housing Disrepair for compensation and repairs. You may get legal aid for the former and the later under a no-win, no fee arrangement. However, if it is condensation you wont have a claim and the council no liability at all

You need to follow all condensation prevention advice, and use the Envirovent, and extract fans. Get the loft condensation sorted by the council, and ask them to investigate for any other source of structural or penetrating dampness

so it can be condensation even though we don't get the water on the inside of the windows?

We have a condenser tumble dryer, which is out in the shed. The cupboards smelt musty when we first viewed the house, but we put that down to the property being vacant for a few months.

One of the workmen that fitted the extractors commented that there was quite a serious problem in the loft, yet when we said that to the council, they didn't want to know.

This house is better ventilated than our last house, yet we never had a problem with mould or condensation before we moved. My wife lived in the previous house for 18 years without a problem. Yet in less than a year, we've got black mould growing in every room against this particular end wall. Other rooms in the house are fine - no signs of damp, black mould or peeling wallpaper/paint.

Sponsored Links
Condensation will form on the coldest surfaces, so if not your windows then it will be the walls. And if the walls are solid concrete from a system built council house then yes they will be cold - and worse still if they face a shaded aspect or the direction of cold wind

Every property is different, and will react to moisture in different ways. Just because your old property had no issues, does not mean that this one will be the same

Typical advice given to tenants is open windows and use the heating. But its more than that.

There needs to be a balance of air movement, extraction of humid air, regular low heating, and insulation to cold surfaces. One or two of these in isolation is not going to do anything

And if you have an Envirovent, then opening windows excessively for ventilation, should not be required

If the wall is the problem, then perhaps it could be insulated internally to remove the cold surface. It depends how far the council want to go

If the loft is not going to be looked at for excessive condensation, then I would ask for the air coming out of the Envirovent to be sampled for humidity - as it should be pumping dry air into the house not damp air from the loft

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back