help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, i want to put a 22'' tv on wall but i dont have a power socket on wall,
i just wanted to know if this is safe to do i dont want to buy an extention lead, and i dont want to channel cable inside wall.

i have some 3g 1.0mm2 cable the lenth 5 meters i want to fit a 13a plug
and a Marbo 13A 1-Gang SP Switched Plug Socket White and a 1g surface patress 16mm box on wall, will this be safe to do? i will put cable in trunking on wall.
thanks

Sponsored Links
1mm cable is rated at roughly 11A so at the very least you would need a fuse smaller than 13Amps in the plug. What fuse does the TV plug have in it and what power does the TV need?

hi
the tv plug has 3 amp fuse, can i put a 13 amp fuse in plug on the extention cable that i a making? or will a 5 amp do the job,
and is the Marbo 13A 1-Gang SP Switched Plug Socket ok to use with this power cable?
thanks

tv power details
On-mode power consumption 22 W
Annual power consumption 31 kWh

1.00mm cable, What type of cable, they are rated differently dependant on type.
But it would be wise to use at least 1.5mm flex (which is normally rated around 16A), as twin and earth is not best used, nor designed to be fitted on to a plug.
Also wall mounted TVs often have added appliances, such as DVD players, signal receiver boxes and consoles added to them, has this been considered?

Sponsored Links
the cable is 3 core stranded copper conductor i have has this written on it H05VV-F 3G1.0mm2 vde High project Get pk
i will be powering just the tv on its own no other devices.
what do you think?

The FUSE is there to protect the CABLE .

So if you have a cable that is capable of taking (say) 10amps, and you have a 13amp fuse protecting it, then - under fault conditions - the fuse will not blow, the cable will heat up, catch fire and you can kiss goodbye to your 22" TV (and a lot else besides).

For that
H05VV-F 3G1.0mm2 vde
cable I would say max 5amp fuse IMO.

so will it be safe to put a 5 or 10 amp fuse in the plug then?
and what about the 1 gang 13amp socket and the 16mm surface pattress is this ok to use

the cable can take a 10 amp fuse so i think i should stick a 10 amp in it then

the cable can take a 10 amp fuse so i think i should stick a 10 amp in it then

But the TV only needs 3 amps, better to offer more protection to the cable by using a 5 or possibly even 3 amp fuse.

Though, tbh by the time you have bought a plug and the socket and surface box, you could have bought a made for purpose extension

Just looked the spec up and the flex can carry 10A, your TV only requires 3A. I would be happy with a 5A fuse on the extension plug with the 3A remaining in the TV plug.

A 3A tv? OP states 22W.

Well TV only requires 1/10th of an amp then, but 3A fuse in plug already, so it can stay.
I think the problem would be if a 13A fuse was installed at the extension plug and then the wall mounted socket was used by an appliance or appliances requiring a greater current than that the cable can handle, but you already know that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back