Help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0120.JPG

I've just wired my bathroom up, lights and extractor fan, everything works but the extractor fan. I have wired it the same as the diagram in picture but doesn't come on with the lights, my only thought is either the wiring is wrong or failing that I have a faulty extractor fan.
I'd greatly appreciate if some one could cast their eye over my diagram and point out any errors, appologies of the ametuer effort of a diagram but I am a novice with regards to wiring.
Thanks
IMG_0120.JPG

Sponsored Links
the cables from the light fitting should all go the the same side of the isolator switch as opposed to crossing over like the diagram, can you show a pic of the fan terminals please

The extractor fan is an expelair dx100ts and has the three terminal blocks marked L N T live neutral Timer I guess.

the t is indeed switch live, can take upto 10secs to come on, has it been left on for a while?

Sponsored Links
If wired as shown, it should work.
Therefore either:
- it isn't wired as shown
- the isolator is switched off
- the fan is faulty

A simple check would be to use a multimeter to determine if there is voltage at the fan terminals.

I've triple checked the wiring is as shown I've left on for a few minutes. I'll have another check tomorrow and get another extractor bought and fitted to see if that is the problem.

Problem solved!
Replaced the fan assuming it was faulty, fitted new one still nothing.
Removed isolator switch with a view of replacing it and upon a curious look inside the switch as I took it apart the neutral switch was making no contact when the switch was switched on so fixed this and all is working.
In hindsight I shall invest in a multimeter as this would have cut down the diagnosis time.
Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back