Where have I gone wrong? Bathroom light/fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

I’m adding a new shower encloser. The shower will have an all in one light and extractor fan.

I know it’s a mistake I’ve done somewhere but can’t figure out where I’m going wrong.

see my sketch of the circuit diagram.

Also attached diagram of how circuit should be from fan extractor manual.

If everything is correct - then what else could it be.

I did wire in the light on its own direct to fuse switch without the fan - just to check in receiving power etc - and the light came on fine (was flickering a little tho).

fuse has a 3amp inside.

using waygo connectors throughout

help appreciated

Attachments

• 61A835F2-150F-457C-80FB-FF5A6D4FE520.jpeg
    61A835F2-150F-457C-80FB-FF5A6D4FE520.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 261
  • 2F416E2C-E044-44D0-B3DC-7FE5591CCEC4.jpeg
    2F416E2C-E044-44D0-B3DC-7FE5591CCEC4.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 267
Sponsored Links
At first glance it looks like you have connected the fan L & SL to Neutral.

Is that just a drawing mistake?

Sponsored Links
Used waygo temporarily as the cable was a bit short in a couple of places. Once everything is screwed in, I can remove waygos.

But there’s two places where I needed to connect neutral from fan and light, going to fuse box.

N going into fuse box is based on the diagram / instructions that came with fuse box. The N is going in at the bottom of my sketch

The issue is light or fan is not turning on at all... even though a current is detected (using detection pen)

I’m wondering if I need a three pole isolator? I’ve just used 3 amp fused switch and a regular light switch at mo

Connections are only indicated by circles or shapes, lines overlapping aren’t connected in my sketch

I’m wondering if I need a three pole isolator? I’ve just used 3 amp fused switch and a regular light switch at mo
No you do not need a 3 pole isolator as the FCU will isolate the fan and light - if you have wired them properly/

1. Is the fuse ok
2. Are the wagos the joining type ?
3. Check the switch to ensure screw is touching copper

The issue is light or fan is not turning on at all... even though a current is detected (using detection pen)
You need a two probe voltage tester, or a multimeter. The magic pen will not test for the existence of the neutral connection. No neutral = no fan or light.
PS. Those magic pens don’t detect current, they detect voltage(sometimes).

The only other thing I can think of is I might have labelled the wires incorrectly, so might need to pull the wires out again and double check that.

fuse is ok, - I’ve plugged the light on it’s on directly to the fused switch, and it turned on and off.
Wagos I think are joining type, they have three clips up top.
95% sure the wires are touching, as I detached it all twice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back