Help, Noisy Boiler + Low Pressure problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4 year old boiler so not too old in a hardwater area.

When using the hot water the boiler will start making a very loud squealing noise like an old fashioned hob kettle, i then have to switch off and let it cool.

The pressure of the boiler also keeps dropping to zero, this was cause by a leaking radiator originally which british gas came out and supposedly repaired (4 times!) I have the BG homecare package which is a total waste of money.

We now have tenants in the property and on BG's last visit they told the tenant it was due to an airlock in the hot water pipe and would be an easy fix.

When i called BG to confirm this, they told me that it was a build up of sludge in the heat exchange and it will require a power flush costing £200-500 but they will have to get somebody out to do a quote. Could it be something as simple as the pressure continually dropping due to a leak causing the noise?

Sorry if that was a bit of a babble, in a hurry!

Sponsored Links
sounds like 2 separate problems.
what boiler is it ?
how often does it require repressurising ?
if the pressure drops the system is loosing water. there is a water leak somewhere. check the pressure relief pipework for signs of dripping (the copper pipe from the boiler that exits to outside).

I think the pressure drop is down to the valve that was leaking in the spare room, after 3-4 attempts im not convinced it was fixed, when i moved out im sure i saw water on the floor underneath it however the tenents havent mentioned anything (not doing very well here am i!)

Cant remember what the boiler make/model is off the top of my head. Unfortunately the flat is 40 miles away from me and wont be going there unless i have to!

What are the possible causes of a sqealing noise from the boiler?

Thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links
BG may well be right.
but it may well be more cost effective to get an independent to confirm diagnosis and carry out powerflush if necessary.

Thats not the answer I wanted to hear!!!

I'll just have to wait and see what they say on Thursday, hopefully it'll just turn out to be an airlock!

Thats a nonsence comment for them to make to you!

You dont get airlocks in pressurised systems that are in good working order.

It could be a blocked AAV in the boiler.

Although customers think that they are getting a sood professional service from BG thats not always the case. Yours seems to be an example.

If you were to find a competent independent with reasonable charges then they would give you a proper repair as well as sensible charges.

Tony

BG have now been out to give us a quote on fixing the boiler.

They have said that the system requires a power flush and the Heat exchange plate will also need to be replaced as the power flush will not clean this out properly!!! As usual one of theire many loopholes means that the £40 a month i am paying for the homecare means that they will not pay for either the heat plate exchanger or the powerflush resulting in them wanting to charge me c*nting £712!

Any advice please!??

cancel the homecare and get a decent local engineer to sort the job. He should be able to diagnose any problems and you may find it wont be as much as BG quote. Cant see a good working boiler costing £440 a year to maintain either. BG are just glorified thief's in my own view

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back