HELP ON BUYING A CHEAP COMPOUND MITRESAW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi this is my 1st post and i hope you can ps help me on this!:D

I am wanting a 10"/12" sliding compound mitre sawfor about £150 ! 3yrs ago it would of been impossible to get a normal saw let alone sliding type but now the prices have really come down! I was maybe thinking of buying a B&Q 10" (£120) as it looks a sturdy machine but can anyone who has one tell me how precise they are? :D Also there is another i was looking at on ebay not to sure of the name but its a German make 'Boshman' i think! Anybody help please! :D

Sponsored Links
If you want a compound mitre saw that is precise, accurate and reliable then £150 ain't going to be enough. Believe me. For a 10/12" saw you will need to pay around 3 to 4 hundred and stick to trade names. Makita, DeWalt, Bosch (trade) Ryobi etc.

If you want a saw to just perform for a few months then go for cheap but be prepared to chuck it away.

Seconded. If you want durabilty and precision there is absolutly no contest between cheapo and big brand names.

You might however pick one up off ebay reasonably cheap. A good condition secondhand makita/bosch etc will still be better than a new very cheap unit.
Incidently, B&Q were doing a cheap sliding saw the other week for about £99. DONT EVEN LOOK AT IT. It will fall apart almost as soon as you touch it, the locking mechanism is an absolute joke, and the roller bearings feel like they're full of grit!
Woody

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I've found that the B&Q Pro upper end stuff to be pretty good. They give a 3 year warranty for DIY use so you can't really go wrong. Just take it home and try it, you've got a fortnight to return it for a full refund.

joe

Hi thanks for your advice i did buy the 1900w 10" performance pro-CLM250LSM (B&Q) its the newest model out. I have done a few cuts etc and it is very smooth,the lock down is very versatile as you can now set it to say 47% whereas before you could only go on .5 incraments! I also did a bit of research and apparently it is the same saw as the Delta which cost a lot more money! (pic) And what persuaded to buy was the 3yr Gaurantee! I also got it for only £129 the same price as the smaller 1200w 8.3/4" as it was on a 1 day special,RRP is usually £169 :D !! I have inc a few pics!

AND LARGER...

http://img396.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf18977bl.jpg

http://img469.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf18923yv.jpg

ahhh hemmm, is there something youre not telling us? something about the mitgre not being square and you need help to set it up?????

judging by the post in the chippies forum I would say so. It is preceily that reason why we recomended a better qaulity saw.
Woody

still nice colours though! spend a little dosh and get a decent blade for it, that will make a lot of difference

Ukwoody said:
ahhh hemmm, is there something youre not telling us? something about the mitgre not being square and you need help to set it up?????

judging by the post in the chippies forum I would say so. It is preceily that reason why we recomended a better qaulity saw.
Woody

Reason for that post is i thought you had to set all blades and fences up even new ones! DOH! :oops: It is a great saw but if anything its too damn big :rolleyes:
Wifes going mad about space! :idea: Time to move i think!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back