Help on constructing roof rafter for my garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a builder who is building a garage for me, its a 2 skin walls 5 metres wide 6 mtres long and 3.5m eaves.
He is insisting that I can not get a 2.4 mtres ceiling hight due to the angle being just below 19 degree.
Can anyone please comment on this also I have attached a trawing That I just made wich I think is posibble to get a 2,4 metres ceiling high
Thank you, be well and be safe

Attachments

• roof rafter design5.pdf
    229.8 KB · Views: 232
Sponsored Links
Your drawing is a bit sketchy but anyhow :
using 5m as a total run/span or 6m as the total run/span you can have a 2.4m ceiling with a roof angle of 20 to 24 degrees.

Sponsored Links
Your drawing is a bit sketchy but anyhow :
using 5m as a total run/span or 6m as the total run/span you can have a 2.4m ceiling with a roof angle of 20 to 24 degrees.
Max eave allowed id 3500 high
Will I get this as you commented above
Thank you for your reply

Tell the alleged "builder" to construct a raised collar roof.
This is what he told me if I what 2.4 high ceiling, but I think according to my drawing and sise of the garage (to scale), flat ceiling can be achieved
Please your comments are much apreciated and wont be upset if you tell me I'm wrong, I just want to get what I want if feasable
Thank you again

I don't understand what the problem is. All that needs to happen, is the ceiling joists installed at the 2.4m height. What's stopping that?

I don't understand what the problem is. All that needs to happen, is the ceiling joists installed at the 2.4m height. What's stopping that?
As long I get an acceptable slope angle with a eave 3,500mm I will tell him to do that.

As long I get an acceptable slope angle with a eave 3,500mm I will tell him to do that.
You keep quoting eaves height of 3500 which is confusing, but you mean ridge height.

As others have said, it should be easy to achieve 2400 ceiling height, if needs be by just raising the ties and fixing them to the rafters a little above the wall plate.

Why is there a steel beam running down the length, splitting the ceiling joists? Unless there is some rigid fixing across the top of the steel, there will be nothing to counteract the tendency of the rafters to push out on the walls, particularly with a low pitch.

You keep quoting eaves height of 3500 which is confusing, but you mean ridge height.

As others have said, it should be easy to achieve 2400 ceiling height, if needs be by just raising the ties and fixing them to the rafters a little above the wall plate.

Why is there a steel beam running down the length, splitting the ceiling joists? Unless there is some rigid fixing across the top of the steel, there will be nothing to counteract the tendency of the rafters to push out on the walls, particularly with a low pitch.
yip, the steel beam should be under the ceiling ties to support them and to cut down the span

as for the ridge height, don't make it too low, as you'll then struggle to get tiles etc for the degrees they work on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back